1999 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
7 Year old vehicle outperform some 06 's
By Alonso Valenzuela on 04/17/06 23:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Offroad capabilty: excellent it only needs a back up camera and GPS in your dash and you are ready to have serious fun. Onroad driving: marvelous, like a medium sedan. MPG: poor, but it's worth every penny I spent. I installed Bi-xenon and looks awesome, besides it turns day light, great headlight design. Sound: Just add sub-woofers and the premium sound system does the rest. The last name of Toyota is "reliability".

Still a great vehicle
By DougT on 03/03/06 10:36 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I posted a review back in November of last year after owning my 4Runner for six months. It's been four months since and I have nothing new to say other than this is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. I've owned it for ten months now and it still blows my mind at how well this thing was made. It's now seven years old with over 110k miles on it and everything is functioning fine. I love the 4Runner more and more each day. I got it for a really good price when I bought it and worry that I'll never find another deal like it on my next Toyota (which is what I'm sticking with). Those Japanese designers have their stuff together thats for sure.

Excellent Ride!
By jtr903 on 02/15/06 07:16 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Toyota 4Runner since 1999. I have used it in blizzards, sandy beaches and it has never let me down. Althought I have low milage and ti give an example of the quality parts used when building thew truck, I have never replaced the brakes, I have tuned it only one time and only kept it in normal maintance. Its a very smooth ride, one I will never get rid of!

Sleeper
By Dave on 02/01/06 18:09 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

This is my 4th Toyota and may prove to be the best vehicle I have ever, or will ever own. Make no mistake, this is a light truck chassis. It rides and handles like a box on frame pick up truck. I had to replace the starter motor right after the warranty ran out. Irritating, but that's the only problem the thing has ever had. A service at 78K miles indicated that the original brake pads and shoes were only 40% worn, and I drive hard. It would be a fine family hauler with its stock 180 or so horsepower as long as you don't mind the truck like ride. I added a TRD Supercharger and Exhaust System which has made a huge difference when entering the freeway.

Reliablity galore!
By Joe D, Philadelphia on 01/23/06 23:55 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the '99 used in 2004. I've been driving for almost 2 years now and no problems! (clock wire is loose, no biggie). Still has great pickup, especially in 1st and 2nd gears! 4WD is great in the snow. One of the best riding/reliable vehicles I've ever owned. This sucker will run to 200k miles without a doubt (currently only at 60k).

Barry's review
By Barry on 12/25/05 12:11 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Highly reliable and fun to drive. Solid performance.

4WD Limited
By Acraig on 12/06/05 14:22 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased the 4Runner new in November 1998. Now have 93,000 miles on it. Required a new starter at 65,000 miles but no other problems at all. All the bells and whistles still work as new. Typical exceptional Toyota reliability, comforable on the the road yet very capable off road. I like the styling of the 99 better than the new models.

Yota convert
By DougT. on 11/15/05 14:42 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

1999 4Runner SR5 (2WD, 3.4 V6) bought less than six months ago with 95k miles on it. When I test drove it I could not believe how tight (new feeling) everything was for a six year old vehicle with close to a 100k miles on it. The only problems were the power antena didn't work (broken mast, easy fix) and the starter tended to stick. Being a paranoid person, I put it in the shop on day one of owning it to have a complete tune up of all systems as well as a new timing belt, starter, and water pump (since they were at it anyway when replacing the timing belt) I've driven it an additional 10,000 miles since buying it with not a single problem. So far it's the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Overall Good SUV
By Mandi on 10/18/05 08:52 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this vehicle for over 1 1/2 years and overall it's very safe, reliable and dependable. I don't like that it has not much get up and go without taking a second to think about it first. Also, have had to replace rotors 2x now and working on the third. For some reason had strange wear on tires that were put on 9 mo ago and all rotors and tires need to be replaced again to feel stable. Had an accident in it and let me tell you, this is one SAFE car. I'm glad I trusted my life in this car. VERY safe in winter.

Great over all vehicle to drive
By Lindsey Pickman on 10/04/05 15:21 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

The toyota 4Runner 4dr 4wd limited is a dependable vehicle that I have owned and does very well in the winter snow. The leather seats are very comfortable. The amount of space is great for all kinds of storage from front to back, better than the new 4Runners.