Used 1999 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Bulletproof
By texas cagematch

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

Bought 7 years ago with 118k from a wholesaler. It now has 172k and still drives almost as good as new. Had to replace air conditioner at about 150k mi. for $1,000. The power antenna stopped working ($150 fix). The paint is very good, cloth interior is very durable, never any leak of any kind, I paid $9,500 for it 7 years ago and it's still worth $6-7k. Are you kidding me? When I detail it - it literally looks brand new. Decent gas mileage for an SUV, 17 hwy. Still got at least another 100k left in it. Best SUV ever built.

Engine power, overall durability, money well spent.

None. It's perfect.

Great truck!
By John O.

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second 4Runner, and again I'm not disappointed. Like my first (a 1997) it is a bit underpowered. Outside of that I have no complaints! I still get compliments even though it is 11 years old. The vehicle is fun to drive, handles great in all weather, and even 11 years old there is no squeaks, rattles, or wind noise. Michigan is known to use excessive salt, and yet the only rust on the vehicle is on the trailer hitch. Mine doesn't have many miles (69,000) as of this writing, but the ONLY things replaced so far since new have been one set of tires and a malfunctioning key fob. If you can find a low mileage 4Runner cheap, you won't be disappointed!

- Toyota reliability (in spite of recent recalls on newer models!). - Rugged good looks - high ground clearance. - Large tires / wheels...same size as my Dad's 2005 Yukon. - "Limited" model comes loaded with pretty much everything. - Reasonable to insure.

- Stereo system has great sound, but could use a bit more bass. - Either more power or better gas mileage...seems a bit thirsty given the motor is a small but adequate V6 (newer models now offer V8). - It's built on a truck frame, and I'm being picky, but it seems the ride could be a bit smoother.

Still Luvin' after All These Years!
By 4Runner Luver

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

This is my second 4Runner and I simply love this model. Reliable and Adaptable are two words that describe my overall relationship with my 4Runner... neither of my 4Runners have ever broken down on me, and they'll carry whatever the heck I can throw in the back or tie on the roof! I get about 23 mph when using my Cruise Control, so I use it as much as possible! I love the tight turning radius and sitting high enough to see what's ahead and around me, but low enough so it takes corners well. I've got 146k mi. and it runs like it did when I first bought it at 9k mi. No wonder these used 4Runners are hard to come by! They're like Loyal Friends -- you never want to let them go! :-D

As I said above, plus the sound system - JBL with speakers going all the way back to the trunk area. I really love everything about my 4Runner!

Can't think of any... but it would be fun to have a hybrid version someday.

Dependable SUV
By Chris

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased my 99 4-Runner new and have over 265k miles. Twice I have taken it down to the timing belt and done maintenance, water-pump, etc., preventative type things. As soon as I purchase my new 2010 4-Runner I will be turning this one over to my 16 year old daughter.

Fun to drive and so very dependable.

Love It Already
By H Coffey

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Just bought my 4 Runner SR5 4wd a couple of weeks ago but now drive it all the time everywhere. Friends are astonished that this is a ten (10) year old vehicle! It has logged 115,000 miles in Canada and was used all year in all weather conditions. Granted the first owners took good care of it but I seen many GM's, Fords and Nissans that were babied but notwithstanding the care, still turned to junk. Matter of fact I previously owned an Explorer and Pathfinder. The SR5's interior is like new and except for a few minor wee dents the exterior and black paint are perfect! The 16 inch alloy wheels have some very minor corrosion but way less than one would expect for enduring ten winters.

Ride comfort and handling in city and and on the highway, roll down rear window, decent gas mileage, full auto front windows,storage capacity, build and finish integrity. Still looks great. Historical reliability. (Bonus, my wife loves it too and she is used to a Lexus LS430)

Nothing that hasn't been taken care by Toyota in subsequent iterations since 1999.