1999 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
1999 4 runner saved from clueless owner
By john on 06/20/09 17:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought off ebay 7/2007 with 100k, did all of the deferred issues,+ new springs, shocks, 1 " lift, changed all fluids, cold air intake. Great quality (mini Land Cruiser) same looks, better mileage. Better 4 wh drive system. Power is a little weak, gas gauge reads empty with 5 gal. in tank (common) this is a true 300K truck with the right mechanic working on it, 1999's are the year to buy, they sit an in. higher than all the other years. Had a 1993 land cruiser for 14 years, great but sucked gas. This 4run get 17 21 town/highway. Will cruise 90 mph all day long. No oil usage or leaks 285.75 /16 tires & spring spacers & it looks ready for anything, great for anywhere.

4Runner 4ever
By Papa on 02/10/09 09:33 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

The most reliable vehicle I have owned! After 10 years, my 4Runner is as solid as the day I drove it off the lot. I think I will pass it on to my grandson who is currently 9 years old.

Only Toyota For Me!
By Amanda on 10/13/08 14:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this car! I have had it for almost 6 years now. I've taken it to the shop twice, and I drive it A LOT. I will only own Toyotas from now on.

Bought new
By Jim Z on 10/01/08 08:08 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this vehicle for nine years and 165,000 miles so far. The only habitual problem with this truck are its front disks - they warp much too quickly (on third set). I, also, get around 18 mpg in mixed driving (20 on highway trips), but this vehicle is made for off-roading so its suspension and drive train are beefy. Handles snow great (4WD), but squirrelly in rain (2WD). Very tough truck. My wife was in an accident, ended up going down an embankment, hitting a tree and bending the frame. Not hurt. Through it into 4WD, drove back up the hill and drove home. You can add a lot of gear in back without throwing off its handling. Very comfortable on trips. Well designed dash and console.

So Reliable
By Fyneboi on 09/30/08 11:39 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the SUV in August 2002 and still rocking the car till today. I changed my oil at 5000 miles, has only done one full tune up, changed the O2 sensors. Other than that, never done any major mechanical repair on this car. The car runs great.

Great 4X4 I LOVE IT!!
By Rider on 09/01/08 17:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV 4WD

My 4runner is a very reliable truck, gas mileage is about 20 miles per gallon but is fun and I love it everyday. Great truck!!

Mixed Emotions
By Juffowup on 07/14/08 15:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought with 20k miles now have 155k. I would buy a Toyota again. Probably not a 4runner just because of the gas mileage 15/18. My water pump went out twice before 100k, dealer said it was a common failure. MAFS went out around 140k. Around 120k the radiator failed internally forcing coolant into the transmission (rare failure), $4500 for new tranny and radiator. Power antenna went out, common failure. Starter contacts wore and needed to be replaced. Coolant line to rear heater broke. Even though it sounds bad, I still like my 4runner. Most failure can be resolved by do it yourselfers with a little research.

1999 4Runner Limited 4WD
By runnerxa on 07/13/08 22:58 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Great vehicle if you like the outdoor lifestyle. I love driving with all the windows and sunroof open. Feels like a Jeep but without the noise and rides much better. The V6 engine is weak once you start to load up the vehicle. Although it does have great off the line torque. The ride is truck-like but I am happy with it. The reliability and build quality is quite good. As long as you keep a good maintenance, this vehicle will practically run forever. Lots of aftermarket upgrades for the vehicle. I end up adding a TRD supercharger, URD fuel mods, Doug Thorley header, TRD exhaust, IPT valve body upgrade, 32" A/T tires, Bilstein shocks, and offroad armor. Overall, it is a very capable vehicle.

a 9 year love affair
By Susan on 03/24/08 18:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have dealer-maintained this vehicle for 9 years and have never had to fix anything outside of the regular maintance every 3000 miles. I have bought tires twice since purchasing the vehicle but other than that it runs like a charm. I love the inside of the 4Runner. The leather is soft & comfortable and cleans well. The sunroof is huge and slides back inside the roof. The back window rolling down is a feature I've not found in any other vehicle. Thanks to Toyota not changing the body style very often my 9 year old truck still looks like a newer vehicle. I have never owned a car for 9 years before but I've found no reason to give it up other than wanting another one.

Scott's 4-runner
By Scott's Truck on 01/31/08 11:18 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall - excellent vehicle. Could use more horse power and torque to handle the weight.