Used 1999 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Best all around
By M.FREEMAN

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have 240,0000 mi. On my 4runner. I replaced a few parts but saved money by doing my own repairs. Plenty of room inside for my gear and just enough power to tow my boat. Does well in the snow doesn't in the mud. Drive it hard and use it for commuting. Motor still runs smooth w/no oil leaks. I always loved the look of this generation.

Exterior design.

Traction control opt.

Built To Last
By Jovi13

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

I love this truck, and with 187,000 miles on it, I have never had a problem with it. If the routine maintenance is kept up, these things will last forever. After all these years, it still looks great, and puts the newer body style to shame. Interior has held up extremely well, and all the electronics still work perfectly. The engine is still strong, for the period it was built, and the transmission still shifts like it was brand new! Great, great vehicle. I just wish it was a little bigger in the front seating area, but I am 6'5", so it just wasn't built for 90% sized people.

Ride height is great, love being up high. Huge sun roof. Great exterior styling, still looks great 11 years later. One touch down AND up front windows. Why can't GM figure this out?

Being an 11 year old design, there are many things that it lacks, but for its day, I would wish that it had heated seats and more leg room. The seats are also a little narrow and the seat cushion is a little short.

Bulletproof
By texas cagematch

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

Bought 7 years ago with 118k from a wholesaler. It now has 172k and still drives almost as good as new. Had to replace air conditioner at about 150k mi. for $1,000. The power antenna stopped working ($150 fix). The paint is very good, cloth interior is very durable, never any leak of any kind, I paid $9,500 for it 7 years ago and it's still worth $6-7k. Are you kidding me? When I detail it - it literally looks brand new. Decent gas mileage for an SUV, 17 hwy. Still got at least another 100k left in it. Best SUV ever built.

Engine power, overall durability, money well spent.

None. It's perfect.

Great truck!
By John O.

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second 4Runner, and again I'm not disappointed. Like my first (a 1997) it is a bit underpowered. Outside of that I have no complaints! I still get compliments even though it is 11 years old. The vehicle is fun to drive, handles great in all weather, and even 11 years old there is no squeaks, rattles, or wind noise. Michigan is known to use excessive salt, and yet the only rust on the vehicle is on the trailer hitch. Mine doesn't have many miles (69,000) as of this writing, but the ONLY things replaced so far since new have been one set of tires and a malfunctioning key fob. If you can find a low mileage 4Runner cheap, you won't be disappointed!

- Toyota reliability (in spite of recent recalls on newer models!). - Rugged good looks - high ground clearance. - Large tires / wheels...same size as my Dad's 2005 Yukon. - "Limited" model comes loaded with pretty much everything. - Reasonable to insure.

- Stereo system has great sound, but could use a bit more bass. - Either more power or better gas mileage...seems a bit thirsty given the motor is a small but adequate V6 (newer models now offer V8). - It's built on a truck frame, and I'm being picky, but it seems the ride could be a bit smoother.

Still Luvin' after All These Years!
By 4Runner Luver

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

This is my second 4Runner and I simply love this model. Reliable and Adaptable are two words that describe my overall relationship with my 4Runner... neither of my 4Runners have ever broken down on me, and they'll carry whatever the heck I can throw in the back or tie on the roof! I get about 23 mph when using my Cruise Control, so I use it as much as possible! I love the tight turning radius and sitting high enough to see what's ahead and around me, but low enough so it takes corners well. I've got 146k mi. and it runs like it did when I first bought it at 9k mi. No wonder these used 4Runners are hard to come by! They're like Loyal Friends -- you never want to let them go! :-D

As I said above, plus the sound system - JBL with speakers going all the way back to the trunk area. I really love everything about my 4Runner!

Can't think of any... but it would be fun to have a hybrid version someday.