Used 1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Spontaneous Combustion
By Houston, TX

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car new and took great care of it. With 85K miles on it, an electrical fire started behind the dashboard (probably inside the instrument cluster) causing massive damage. All wiring was factory and no work had been done on the electrical system. Otherwise I really enjoyed the car until it caught fire on me.

Looks.

Better electrical safety.

Great vehicle to own & drive.!!
By Madscot

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this 4 runner for 8 months now & have enjoyed every minute of the driving experience. This is the perfect vehicle for me as I love to camp/fish,etc so there's plenty of room for all sorts of equipment. (I've only used the roof rack once.) This vehicle performs great on mountain roads,on dirt tracks & in wet/snowy conditions, giving confidence to the driver. Very dependable too, I've had no problems thus far with just basic "do it yourself" maintenance. In my humble opinion,you could do a lot worse than buying a Toyota 4 Runner.

Spacious interior, large mirrors & higher ride for observation, responsive a/c & heater, on command 4WD & overall Toyota reliability.

If Toyota could improve the mpg I think this vehicle would be even more attractive to consumers.

1999 Toyota 4-Runner Std
By HarleyRider

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV

I leased this suv new in '99 and wound up buying it. Got stuck with Toyota's wonderful 5yr lease and racked up the miles. Anyway, its been a great truck. All I've really done is keep up on regular schedualed maintenance. The design is nice. The power rear window is great for dogs. It handles a lot better with larger tires then the stock 225/70's it came with. It runs great and I still get compliments about its design and looks. It's an excellent in- town vehicle.

Rugged style. Ground clearance. Power rear window. Reliability. Overall handling and stability for an SUV. Ease of maintenance.

Gas milage is dismal for a 4-cyl. Not much highway power. Accessories are still overpriced. During highway driving on cruise control transmission has to downshift going up minor hills to keep up the speed.

Decent, but Overrated SUV
By workinonjunk

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have 79K mi. on my 4Runner and it's been somewhat reliable, but not what I was expecting from a Japanese vehicle. The MAF sensor had to be replaced at 65K and I've had to replace the front brake rotors several times due to warping. The seats are horrible on long road trips as there's no thigh support at all. The rear suspension is too soft and it wallows and pitche with even one person in the back seat. Replacing the springs/shocks with an aftermarket set VASTLY improved the handling/ride. Acceleration is OK but highway passing could be better. The ground clearance and 31" tires are great. Fuel economy is OK for an SUV-21mpg highway.

Exterior styling, ground clearance, fit & finish, cargo room, resale value

Better seats!! Stiffer rear suspension. Redesign front brake rotors. Needs a larger engine. Selectable,lockable 4WD should be available with a manual transmission. Frame-mounted body protection instead of the fragile body- mounted running boards.

One of the best vehicles owned
By 4Runner lover

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is one of the best vehicles I have owned. The SUV looks awesome, the relibility is top notch and it's a very comfortable family cruiser which handles the road very well whether it's in the city or on the highway. The climate control in this vehicle works extremely well.

Reliability! Looks, comfort, handling (smooth ride) and the fact that it's a very practical vehicle.

More power, which has been resolved in the newer models.