1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Built To Last
By Jovi13 on 05/06/10 10:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I love this truck, and with 187,000 miles on it, I have never had a problem with it. If the routine maintenance is kept up, these things will last forever. After all these years, it still looks great, and puts the newer body style to shame. Interior has held up extremely well, and all the electronics still work perfectly. The engine is still strong, for the period it was built, and the transmission still shifts like it was brand new! Great, great vehicle. I just wish it was a little bigger in the front seating area, but I am 6'5", so it just wasn't built for 90% sized people.

Still Luvin' after All These Years!
By 4Runner Luver on 02/18/10 20:34 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

This is my second 4Runner and I simply love this model. Reliable and Adaptable are two words that describe my overall relationship with my 4Runner... neither of my 4Runners have ever broken down on me, and they'll carry whatever the heck I can throw in the back or tie on the roof! I get about 23 mph when using my Cruise Control, so I use it as much as possible! I love the tight turning radius and sitting high enough to see what's ahead and around me, but low enough so it takes corners well. I've got 146k mi. and it runs like it did when I first bought it at 9k mi. No wonder these used 4Runners are hard to come by! They're like Loyal Friends -- you never want to let them go! :-D

Awesome truck!
By bl on 01/08/08 09:33 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Bought it used in 2004. It's already been 3 years/40000 miles - not a single problem so far. Ride may seem a little rough to some people, but it's a trade-off for a great off-road performance

Great car, until...
By LGraves on 08/14/07 10:42 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I loved this car until yesterday the engine popped. I was amazed that a Toyota brand car's engine would blow at 140,000 miles. Apparently, 4Runner engines made between 1999-2001 (according to our Toyota dealership sources) made very bad engines that blew. Toyota didn't advertise this, so new car buyers had no idea. I now have a great car with no engine. I wish I would have known that their engines were bad during those years.

Rocks
By Eric on 05/08/06 15:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

The ride is rough but that's the ONLY negative. GREAT car. Always works and is totally versatile.

Love my 4Runner
By Darin38122 on 03/23/05 08:21 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I love it! There is plenty of room to throw my bike gear and head for the trails, or pack up my daughters luggage and head out on the road. I wish I had gotten the four-wheel drive though. When it snows or is icy (doesn't happen much in Memphis, but it does happen) it tends to get stuck. Very embarrassing. Had to take my fiance's front-wheel drive Buick Regal everywhere at Christmas. My only real complaint with the 4Runner is the gas mileage. I hope Toyota comes out with a Hybrid for the 4Runner.

my 4runner
By jtate on 03/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Excellent suv with low depreciation

Toyota 4 Runner
By CRHanner on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Great Auto!! My favorite so far!!

4 Runner for Reliability
By Tamela on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

great for long trips, vehicle is heavy and holds to the road well. In town it is a little cumbersome to handle because of it's size, I wish the interior was just a little larger. If you are looking for gas mileage the 4 runner would not be for you. Comfort is great and I will continue to own one for the reliability.

Love this Car!
By NatalieCallista on 09/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

We ended up getting this car during our hunt for an economical vehicle. Style and dependability won out and we ended up with the 4runner. Now we are still going to buy a hybrid, but we love this car. It drives great and I still feel in control. My last car was a Mercedes 560 SL, so I am used to a lot of power, but this car works like a dream, and will keep on kicking for many years to come.