Used 1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

260,000 miles. Amazed it is so strong.
By Dug Less

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I just purchased a 1999 4Runner Limited with 260K on the odometer. I had driven many Toyotas and Subarus prior to this purchase. The interior shows wear but the drive and the ride are amazing. I live in Florida and this machine has never been in the snow/salt of the cold north. My plan is to fix and repair as needed. I am amazed that this truck feels so new. The only thing that needs fixed/replaced is the climate control module. It is intermittent.

This truck can easily pass the 300k miles
By Sergio A

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV

Last 4 ever!

Great vehicle, but ours not as reliable as some
By RobS

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Maybe our 1999 4Runner was built on a Friday, but we have had a few repairs that we didn't expect, given the reliability rating it gets. Starter motor, Oxygen and Mass Air Sensors failed at under 100K miles, a complete failure of a lower ball joint in the front end, rear axle seals leaked (then leaked again after dealer repaired them, just after warranty of course), Driver's side Master Switch for power windows went out, then after living with it for a couple years, started working again. Front Driver's Seat Belt Tensioner springs are about shot, so the seat belt doesn't retract most of the time.
The V6 has never made great power, but is OK. So far, it's been reliable and doesn't burn any oil. We did have to have the Valve Cover Gasket replaced. Some of the plastic covers on seat adjustment levers, seat belt return, are breaking. At least one of the 12V power ports should be On if the ignition is off.

Seats could be a little bigger, but the vehicle is narrow, so no fault really. Controls are well thought out, and dash layout is good (could use full instrumentation for Oil and Alternator). One thing I smile about driving in the city every day is great turning radius, and overall maneuverability for a SUV, another is the Power Rear Window (which NO OTHER small SUV has)...our dog especially loves it!

The repairs we've had to make are, in my mind, worth the overall experience of owning our 4Runner. It's a nice looking vehicle, offroads well (fire roads and unimproved logging roads), drives responsibly in the city. It could have more room, but it drives and parks easily in congested San Francisco, so the tradeoff is OK.

Auto Hall of Fame!
By Barbara

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the BEST car I have ever owned. Purchased it new in 1999. Never had any problem with the engine or transmission. I change the oil approximately every 10,000 to 20,000. I use synthetic Castrol, since day one. Replaced timing belt around 200,000. Almost time for another one. I've owned many cars through the years but this one is outstanding!

Great Vehicle
By Gregory J Strzelecki

1999 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV

I love this vehicle. I have owned it for 8 years. I bought it used with 90,000 miles. Other then oil changes this vehicle is maintenance free. Now I have 230,000 miles and I have had to change somethings. Like rack and pinion bushings, shocks and struts, sway bar bushings, breaks. The most expensive part that needed to be changed was the fly wheel but that was over 5 years ago. the 4 wheel drive options are great i never get stuck in the mud or snow. I think I will be driving this vehicle for several more years to come. There is a 500000 mile club for 4 Runners. that is Amazing.
By