Used 1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

260,000 miles. Amazed it is so strong.
By Dug Less

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

I just purchased a 1999 4Runner Limited with 260K on the odometer. I had driven many Toyotas and Subarus prior to this purchase. The interior shows wear but the drive and the ride are amazing. I live in Florida and this machine has never been in the snow/salt of the cold north. My plan is to fix and repair as needed. I am amazed that this truck feels so new. The only thing that needs fixed/replaced is the climate control module. It is intermittent.

Built To Last
By Jovi13

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

I love this truck, and with 187,000 miles on it, I have never had a problem with it. If the routine maintenance is kept up, these things will last forever. After all these years, it still looks great, and puts the newer body style to shame. Interior has held up extremely well, and all the electronics still work perfectly. The engine is still strong, for the period it was built, and the transmission still shifts like it was brand new! Great, great vehicle. I just wish it was a little bigger in the front seating area, but I am 6'5", so it just wasn't built for 90% sized people.

Ride height is great, love being up high. Huge sun roof. Great exterior styling, still looks great 11 years later. One touch down AND up front windows. Why can't GM figure this out?

Being an 11 year old design, there are many things that it lacks, but for its day, I would wish that it had heated seats and more leg room. The seats are also a little narrow and the seat cushion is a little short.

Still Luvin' after All These Years!
By 4Runner Luver

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

This is my second 4Runner and I simply love this model. Reliable and Adaptable are two words that describe my overall relationship with my 4Runner... neither of my 4Runners have ever broken down on me, and they'll carry whatever the heck I can throw in the back or tie on the roof! I get about 23 mph when using my Cruise Control, so I use it as much as possible! I love the tight turning radius and sitting high enough to see what's ahead and around me, but low enough so it takes corners well. I've got 146k mi. and it runs like it did when I first bought it at 9k mi. No wonder these used 4Runners are hard to come by! They're like Loyal Friends -- you never want to let them go! :-D

As I said above, plus the sound system - JBL with speakers going all the way back to the trunk area. I really love everything about my 4Runner!

Can't think of any... but it would be fun to have a hybrid version someday.

Awesome truck!
By bl

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

Bought it used in 2004. It's already been 3 years/40000 miles - not a single problem so far. Ride may seem a little rough to some people, but it's a trade-off for a great off-road performance

Great design, fun to drive

Great car, until...
By LGraves

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

I loved this car until yesterday the engine popped. I was amazed that a Toyota brand car's engine would blow at 140,000 miles. Apparently, 4Runner engines made between 1999-2001 (according to our Toyota dealership sources) made very bad engines that blew. Toyota didn't advertise this, so new car buyers had no idea. I now have a great car with no engine. I wish I would have known that their engines were bad during those years.

Leather seats, roomy, lumbar support, great for children and long trips.

Better gas mileage, Hybrid version, better engines.