Used 1999 Toyota 4Runner Base Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Last 4 ever!

Great Vehicle
By Gregory J Strzelecki

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

I love this vehicle. I have owned it for 8 years. I bought it used with 90,000 miles. Other then oil changes this vehicle is maintenance free. Now I have 230,000 miles and I have had to change somethings. Like rack and pinion bushings, shocks and struts, sway bar bushings, breaks. The most expensive part that needed to be changed was the fly wheel but that was over 5 years ago. the 4 wheel drive options are great i never get stuck in the mud or snow. I think I will be driving this vehicle for several more years to come. There is a 500000 mile club for 4 Runners. that is Amazing.
By
Gregory J Strzelecki

4runner 4 Life
By Geraldine

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

I am approaching 202K miles on this Baby ! I have a rare 4 cylinder 2WD 4runner. It is great on gas and I have to select less steeper hills in San Francisco but so what, I still love my car. I just follow the regular maintenance for oil and spark plugs and it's all gravy. I get many offers to buy my truck but I am saving this for my youngest son who is just 7. I am sure he will appreciate and love this truck as much as I do.

Sleeper
By Dave

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

This is my 4th Toyota and may prove to be the best vehicle I have ever, or will ever own. Make no mistake, this is a light truck chassis. It rides and handles like a box on frame pick up truck. I had to replace the starter motor right after the warranty ran out. Irritating, but that's the only problem the thing has ever had. A service at 78K miles indicated that the original brake pads and shoes were only 40% worn, and I drive hard. It would be a fine family hauler with its stock 180 or so horsepower as long as you don't mind the truck like ride. I added a TRD Supercharger and Exhaust System which has made a huge difference when entering the freeway.

With the back seats down, you have the equivalent of a 6' bed. It's amazing what you can fit in the thing. The electric rear window on the tailgate is a nice feature (I don't know whay more SUV's don't have that).

None come to mind.

1999 Toyota 4-Runner Std
By HarleyRider

I leased this suv new in '99 and wound
up buying it. Got stuck with Toyota's
wonderful 5yr lease and racked up the
miles. Anyway, its been a great truck.
All I've really done is keep up on
regular schedualed maintenance. The
design is nice. The power rear window
is great for dogs. It handles a lot
better with larger tires then the stock
225/70's it came with. It runs great
and I still get compliments about its
design and looks. It's an excellent in-
town vehicle.

Rugged style. Ground clearance. Power rear window. Reliability. Overall handling and stability for an SUV. Ease of maintenance.

Gas milage is dismal for a 4-cyl. Not much highway power. Accessories are still overpriced. During highway driving on cruise control transmission has to downshift going up minor hills to keep up the speed.