Used 1999 Toyota 4Runner Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

4runner 4 Life
By Geraldine

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

I am approaching 202K miles on this Baby ! I have a rare 4 cylinder 2WD 4runner. It is great on gas and I have to select less steeper hills in San Francisco but so what, I still love my car. I just follow the regular maintenance for oil and spark plugs and it's all gravy. I get many offers to buy my truck but I am saving this for my youngest son who is just 7. I am sure he will appreciate and love this truck as much as I do.

Sleeper
By Dave

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

This is my 4th Toyota and may prove to be the best vehicle I have ever, or will ever own. Make no mistake, this is a light truck chassis. It rides and handles like a box on frame pick up truck. I had to replace the starter motor right after the warranty ran out. Irritating, but that's the only problem the thing has ever had. A service at 78K miles indicated that the original brake pads and shoes were only 40% worn, and I drive hard. It would be a fine family hauler with its stock 180 or so horsepower as long as you don't mind the truck like ride. I added a TRD Supercharger and Exhaust System which has made a huge difference when entering the freeway.

With the back seats down, you have the equivalent of a 6' bed. It's amazing what you can fit in the thing. The electric rear window on the tailgate is a nice feature (I don't know whay more SUV's don't have that).

None come to mind.

1999 Toyota 4-Runner Std
By HarleyRider

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

I leased this suv new in '99 and wound up buying it. Got stuck with Toyota's wonderful 5yr lease and racked up the miles. Anyway, its been a great truck. All I've really done is keep up on regular schedualed maintenance. The design is nice. The power rear window is great for dogs. It handles a lot better with larger tires then the stock 225/70's it came with. It runs great and I still get compliments about its design and looks. It's an excellent in- town vehicle.

Rugged style. Ground clearance. Power rear window. Reliability. Overall handling and stability for an SUV. Ease of maintenance.

Gas milage is dismal for a 4-cyl. Not much highway power. Accessories are still overpriced. During highway driving on cruise control transmission has to downshift going up minor hills to keep up the speed.

Great Car
By Marianne

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

The car is reliable, sturdy and uses regular gasoline. Easy to handle.

easy to drive

The rear window is a pain. I can be opened by accidentally triggering the remote control on the key, but to close it again, you actually have to get into the car and start the engine.

Looks and Reliability
By tekparasite

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

I bought my 99í 4Runner for two reasons: 1) Looks and Reliability. I bought it with 160 miles from a dealership. 115,000 miles later, I am not disappointed. All the maintenance I have done to this truck is change the oil (every 7K miles). I havenít had ANY problems with it. This truck was build to last. Engine is solid with respect to reliability.

Looks and Reliability

More horsepower please!!! and better fuel economy.