Used 1999 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Auto Hall of Fame!
By Barbara

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the BEST car I have ever owned. Purchased it new in 1999. Never had any problem with the engine or transmission. I change the oil approximately every 10,000 to 20,000. I use synthetic Castrol, since day one. Replaced timing belt around 200,000. Almost time for another one. I've owned many cars through the years but this one is outstanding!

Great Vehicle
By Gregory J Strzelecki

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

I love this vehicle. I have owned it for 8 years. I bought it used with 90,000 miles. Other then oil changes this vehicle is maintenance free. Now I have 230,000 miles and I have had to change somethings. Like rack and pinion bushings, shocks and struts, sway bar bushings, breaks. The most expensive part that needed to be changed was the fly wheel but that was over 5 years ago. the 4 wheel drive options are great i never get stuck in the mud or snow. I think I will be driving this vehicle for several more years to come. There is a 500000 mile club for 4 Runners. that is Amazing. By Gregory J Strzelecki

4runner 4 Life
By Geraldine

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

I am approaching 202K miles on this Baby ! I have a rare 4 cylinder 2WD 4runner. It is great on gas and I have to select less steeper hills in San Francisco but so what, I still love my car. I just follow the regular maintenance for oil and spark plugs and it's all gravy. I get many offers to buy my truck but I am saving this for my youngest son who is just 7. I am sure he will appreciate and love this truck as much as I do.

238,000 Miles and still a beaut
By Samuel Bishop

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have been in possession of this car since its had 150 thousand miles and i've had no major issues with it. Basic maintence and repairs that come with the mileage that I have been able to do myself have kept me happy.

191,000 miles and still drive it daily
By Rob U

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Have put 120,000 miles on the '99 4Runner. The only repair issues are a small oil leak, replacing the clutch every 8-10 years, and a brake job or two. All relatively minor repairs. Handles and drives great. Wonderful in the Colorado snow. Great visibility. Sturdy design. Relatively quiet inside although newer models are even quieter. It's a V6 so it has decent power but not great, especially up mountains. If you're thinking of buying a used 99 4Runner and it's got 200k miles on it - Do it! Plan to drive mine another 100k miles at least. Older, reliable vehicles are better for your bank account than losing thousands of dollars in depreciation every year. Repair costs have been minimal in the 9 years I've owned it.

• SUV