1998 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Review: I've underestimated it.

1998 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Review

I've underestimated it.
By DanS on

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

This is the first wise vehicle I bought. I wanted: comfort, reliability, utility, style. It had 60k miles when I bought it and now it has over 155k. The only mechanical problem I've had was a bad oxygen sensor that I suspect my K&N filter caused (spraying oil on the sensor). Right now I'm searching for a "new" perfect vehicle for me. Basically, the same criteria as before, but mpg is a greater concern, because I want to make that 45mile drive to surf more often. And, after all my research I've come to the conclusion that the perfect vehicle I'm searching for is the one in my garage. It feels like it'll go another 100k miles easily. Used ones are a bargain! Go get one!

Power everything. Still looks and drives well. RELIABILITY. V6 is flexible - it can tow, yet it delivers decent power, and fair mpg (about 20-24 hwy). Power rear window is very useful. I can't think of a better comparable vehicle.

I wish it got 35 mpg, then I wouldn't have to torment myself searching for that "perfect vehicle". Pre '99 4runners have an annoying cupholder location,but I prefer the chrome bumper treatment to the later models plasticky ones. So, what are you going to do?