Used 1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Great SUV so far
By Mike

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I have 61,000 miles and so far this 4Runner has been like any other Toyota I have owned, GREAT. The exterior and interior design is great and this is one of few SUVs that you can actually take off-road. The power is good for a V6 and it tows my motorcycles just fine. It feels very tight and solid for a vehicle which is almost 8 years old, great build qulity. The ride is comfortable except it seems to pick up every imperfection in the pavement on the hwy. Plenty of room for passengers and cargo and the power roll down rear hatch window is awesome if you have a dog. Dont know of any othe SUVs that have this feature. Only problem so far have been a leaky AC system which I will have to get fixed

Body on frame construction makes this a tough SUV, superb build quality, great interior and ride. Huge power sunroof.

Highway ride could be smoother. Seems like every crack on the road is translated directly through the steering wheel causing it to shake.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By crewdawg23

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

Drives like new car, currently have 206,500 on it, looking forward to another 200K+! Never let me down, probably never will. Regular maintenance, still has original engine and transmission, key to longevity, always use Toyota parts.

Express Drivers Power Window Switch, Tonneau Cover to hide valuables in rear, User friendly accessibilty for owner maintenance

Place on off switch for power antenna, larger drink holders in different location.

Best Car Ever!
By trimblerob

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV

No problems, new tires, oil changes, a tune-up after 5 years, and running perfectly. I have kept it perfect too, very nice body style.

Roof Rack and rea window control.

Not too much!!!

Dependibility
By Mark Yonke

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I have spent 32 years in the auto industry on the retail level, and Toyota is the best of the best.They hold their value, and they do not break. My 4-Runner has 90,000 miles on it,and I have replace one set of tires, abattery and the power antenna mast. It still has the original brakes with 80% front and 90% rear linings left. My next vehicle will be the Tundra 4dr Truck.

All the power conveniences

They have already been made with current models

Excellent Vehicle
By Chatomorgan

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

My third Toyota after a Camry and Celica. True to Toyota this 4Runner, as well as my other 2, have never been in the shop in 7 years for anything other than elective maintence. My experience with my 4Runner has been noting ore than pleasure. I still get the same gas mileage as when she came off the floor. She is still all stock. Just reccently replaced original tires at 52000 miles that did not even reach the tread indicators. Every summer and winter I check all my systems. She still has original brakes, engine coolant and shocks. Refrigerant has never been recharged and works great. Excellent vehicle.

The tightness of the ride even after 7 years.

Trivial, but the location of the cup holders. Rear air.