1998 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Where's the sludge?
By crew dawg on 04/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

Taut, strong SUV. Average 20 MPG. Excellent body trim and fit. Leather seating soft, yet durable. Acceleration adequate, for 183 HP V6.

Best Truck For The Money!
By RunnerLovr on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I traded in my car for a 4Runner over a year ago and absolutely love it. Could use a little more power, but other than that, it's perfect. I have a 3" lift and a rear locker and haven't had any other SUV keep up with me. Will buy another one!

4Runner runs along!
By Eli Fox on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

I love my 4Runner. I almost got a Jeep Grand Cherokee, but I liked this better. It has leather trimed seats, alluminum instruments, a rear spoiler, and tons of goodies.

Luvin my 4runner
By Cheasapeake on 02/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 4cyl with a 5 speed manual transmission. This allows for a nice mix of acceptable power (no towing) and great fuel economy. 18-20 mpg around town 25 mpg highway. (10 mpg in 4wd) The next problem I have with this truck will be the first!

So Far, So Great
By AustinTX4Runner on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

we just purchased a '98 4Runner Limited with approximately 97K miles on it. The thing that amazes me is that there's not a squeak or rattle to be heard when driving it, and the engine and transmission feel like the vehicle is new. The fit and finish is classic Toyota - which means it's basically flawless. My only regret is that I bought the truck for my wife and I hardly get to enjoy the huge moonroof, slide down rear glass, and comfy leather seats. Absolutely great truck and I know we'll have it for years to come.

Toyota 4-Runner Best SUV made
By DGipson on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

This is my 3rd 4-Runner. I currenty have a 1992 that is a great suv with 210000 miles thois 98 is perfect too

4x4 KING
By BrianV on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Don't be fooled, this truck is a TRUCK. The thing has a horrible highway ride, no real nice features (considering sticker was $38k). The stereo is awful, and the car lacks the power to safely pass cars on two lane highways. However, this thing is incredible off road. It's locking rear differential and 50/50 tq converter allow it to do ANYTHING. My friend's Ford Explorer cannot do anything near what this car can do. Build quality is excellent, but only buy this if you really want a truck. PS - best looking sport ute ever

Great Styling
By Chad Wilhoit on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

The suv is very reliable, along with the looks this makes a great vehical for any age driver.

Toyota and reliability are one
By Ltd2daMax on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

This experience has been nothing short of blissful. I have continuously raved about the reliability on my Limited. My scheduled maintenance is the only time I've ever been back to the service shop. It just runs and runs and runs.

1998 4Runner Limited - Very Reliable
By 4RunnerLimited on 10/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

I purchased a 98 4Runner Limited with 87,000 miles on it and was not at all concerned with the mileage because of Toyota's legendary reliability. At 90,000, I had the timing belt, spark plugs, etc. (the 90k service job) replaced and have had an excellent suv thus far. Knock on wood...I have not have any problems whatsoever with the suv. I have put about 16k miles on it including taking a 3,500 mile trip this past summer and experienced smooth sailing through the mountains, desert, etc.