Used 1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

I've underestimated it.
By DanS

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

This is the first wise vehicle I bought. I wanted: comfort, reliability, utility, style. It had 60k miles when I bought it and now it has over 155k. The only mechanical problem I've had was a bad oxygen sensor that I suspect my K&N filter caused (spraying oil on the sensor). Right now I'm searching for a "new" perfect vehicle for me. Basically, the same criteria as before, but mpg is a greater concern, because I want to make that 45mile drive to surf more often. And, after all my research I've come to the conclusion that the perfect vehicle I'm searching for is the one in my garage. It feels like it'll go another 100k miles easily. Used ones are a bargain! Go get one!

Favorite Features

Power everything. Still looks and drives well. RELIABILITY. V6 is flexible - it can tow, yet it delivers decent power, and fair mpg (about 20-24 hwy). Power rear window is very useful. I can't think of a better comparable vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it got 35 mpg, then I wouldn't have to torment myself searching for that "perfect vehicle". Pre '99 4runners have an annoying cupholder location,but I prefer the chrome bumper treatment to the later models plasticky ones. So, what are you going to do?

Great Car
By Grant

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Bought this truck with 30,000 miles and have over 140,000 miles on it now. Had to replace rear axle seals at 50,000 miles, other than that has had ZERO problems (mechanical or otherwise). Just do regular maintenance and the truck runs and runs! 4WD works great in bad weather, and truck tows strong. Interior, switches, gauges, and controls have all held up great (leather seats & motors, window controls & motors, AC, heater, CD, all power equipment, etc.) Will definitely buy another 4Runner!

Favorite Features

4WD, Toyota reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG, but 21 MPG for any SUV/truck is pretty good.

Good, Dependable SUV
By RSL

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle in August 1998 and have put over 113,000 miles on it since then. Overall, it has been a reliable SUV. The fit and finish are still excellent after 8 years of ownership. Mechanically, the car has been virtually maintenance free. My only significant complaints are the stereo and the power antenna. I had the stereo replaced 3 separate times. The power antenna was replaced twice. Gas mileage averages about 15 in the city and 20 on the highway. Power is only adequate. I still get compliments on this vehicle 8+ years later. The paint and overall look still is appealing. I would highly recommend this SUV to anyone looking for a highly reliable SUV.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, high ground clearance, and overall high build quality.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo and power antenna are extremely unreliable. Be prepared for one of these to break. Also, the cup holder is a joke and covers up the heating/air conditioning controls when a drink is placed in it.

Love this thing!
By Nylorac

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

By far and away, the absolute best vehicle I have ever owned. Well over 100K miles and the thing is still running like a top! All I have had to do is replace the battery. I just can get over how well made and reliable the 4Runner is. I will never own another vehicle. Now I see why the used ones are so hard to come by.

Favorite Features

Reliability!

Suggested Improvements

None.

Nearly Perfect
By Elroy

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my 4Runner for years and love it!! Well, except for that it's a bit rough in the ride... go across a speed bump at a bit of an angle and it throws you side to side. It could be smoother on the highway, for it picks up the road texture incredibly well. I mean, I like road feel in the steering wheel, but not feel like I'm right against it. I'm at a point where I'm ready to buy something else, but in looking at all the reviews, all the versatility, and all my options, the 4Runner is VERY, VERY hard to beat. It's been amazingly reliable, it's exceptionally capable off-road, and the features are excellent (except for the placement of the cup holders, as others have mentioned).

Favorite Features

Stylish, rugged looks, extremely reliable, strong engine, civil disposition, rear window rolls down, and a total solid performer in nearly every catagory... solid, but not perfect.

Suggested Improvements

This is a tough one. It's an off-road performer, and that means a certain level of stiffness and ruggedness. It could be more smooth on highway, but it is very smooth considering it's off- road capabilities. They hit a home run with this vehicle, it's just not out of the park ;-p~