Used 1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Good Car for the Money
By Joe

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

You'll pay a little bit more for a 4-Runner than you would for an Explorer but you are getting a better ride and have a more reliable vehicle. I have had the car for a couple years. Have not had to put any money into it. The rear window really pays off in the summer.

Great exterior styling. A design that has really held onto its looks. 20 mpg isn't bad on the highway. 15-17 mpg city isn't bad either.

The drink holder is in a terrible spot. Splashes all over radio. Taking off headrests in the back to put seats down.

I've underestimated it.
By DanS

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

This is the first wise vehicle I bought. I wanted: comfort, reliability, utility, style. It had 60k miles when I bought it and now it has over 155k. The only mechanical problem I've had was a bad oxygen sensor that I suspect my K&N filter caused (spraying oil on the sensor). Right now I'm searching for a "new" perfect vehicle for me. Basically, the same criteria as before, but mpg is a greater concern, because I want to make that 45mile drive to surf more often. And, after all my research I've come to the conclusion that the perfect vehicle I'm searching for is the one in my garage. It feels like it'll go another 100k miles easily. Used ones are a bargain! Go get one!

Power everything. Still looks and drives well. RELIABILITY. V6 is flexible - it can tow, yet it delivers decent power, and fair mpg (about 20-24 hwy). Power rear window is very useful. I can't think of a better comparable vehicle.

I wish it got 35 mpg, then I wouldn't have to torment myself searching for that "perfect vehicle". Pre '99 4runners have an annoying cupholder location,but I prefer the chrome bumper treatment to the later models plasticky ones. So, what are you going to do?

Great Car
By Grant

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Bought this truck with 30,000 miles and have over 140,000 miles on it now. Had to replace rear axle seals at 50,000 miles, other than that has had ZERO problems (mechanical or otherwise). Just do regular maintenance and the truck runs and runs! 4WD works great in bad weather, and truck tows strong. Interior, switches, gauges, and controls have all held up great (leather seats & motors, window controls & motors, AC, heater, CD, all power equipment, etc.) Will definitely buy another 4Runner!

4WD, Toyota reliability.

Better MPG, but 21 MPG for any SUV/truck is pretty good.

Good, Dependable SUV
By RSL

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle in August 1998 and have put over 113,000 miles on it since then. Overall, it has been a reliable SUV. The fit and finish are still excellent after 8 years of ownership. Mechanically, the car has been virtually maintenance free. My only significant complaints are the stereo and the power antenna. I had the stereo replaced 3 separate times. The power antenna was replaced twice. Gas mileage averages about 15 in the city and 20 on the highway. Power is only adequate. I still get compliments on this vehicle 8+ years later. The paint and overall look still is appealing. I would highly recommend this SUV to anyone looking for a highly reliable SUV.

Exterior styling, high ground clearance, and overall high build quality.

The stereo and power antenna are extremely unreliable. Be prepared for one of these to break. Also, the cup holder is a joke and covers up the heating/air conditioning controls when a drink is placed in it.

Love this thing!
By Nylorac

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

By far and away, the absolute best vehicle I have ever owned. Well over 100K miles and the thing is still running like a top! All I have had to do is replace the battery. I just can get over how well made and reliable the 4Runner is. I will never own another vehicle. Now I see why the used ones are so hard to come by.

Reliability!