1998 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
984rnner
By bigcat9 on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Very nice vehicle. Had to replace both O2 sensors at 100,000 miles. Clock had to be repaced at 111000 miles and power antenna assembly at 105000 miles. No other problems. Paint and finish excellent. Rear springs replaced and supplemented under recall. Some emission control parts had warranty extended by Toyota.

gentle beast!
By willowvt on 03/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

love this rig! even with all the SUV bashing pressure, i'm still proud to drive my 4Runner. rugged and high with a solid, smooth ride, it's incredibly reliable and ready for anything, with never a problem! i started out leasing, and when my lease ran out i was faced with leasing the 2000 model, which had been re-styled more like a soccer mom SUV, yuk! so i bought out my lease on the 98 and now will drive it forever. it still looks/acts new at 93K miles; i do all the recommended maintenance and all i've replaced is tires and waterpump! and even after 6 winters in vt, still no sign of rust! wow

Engine failed at 85,000 miles
By rfrank5356 on 03/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV 4WD

3 cylinders diagnosed with very low compression at 85,000 miles - Toyota says this is normal wear and tear! Warranty book says listen for loud tappet noise, but dealer says that valves elongate so they get quieter. Unless owners get a $600 valve adjust every 40K miles, valves WILL FAIL. No service buletins were issued on this.

Funtastic
By DMoney on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I test drove 9 other SUV models and the 4Runner was the best by far. Bought it used w/no regrets. So much fun to drive. Buying advice: Spring for 6cyl and sunroof -- you'll wish you had, otherwise. You'll hear people comment about the 'poor' gas mileage, but it's only got a 15 gal tank. Still gets 16- 21 mpg

I now have 2- 4Runners
By Rick Ayotte on 02/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned and I have owned all domestic makes + other imports. I now have 128,000 miles on this 98 4Runner and the only part I had to change was the water pump wich had a minor leak. I still have all the original parts on this truck, including the brakes and exaust. What a truck!! I still enjoy the ride and with this mileage, still no rattles. This is a quality vehicle that I strongly recomend. I just purchased a new 2003, , but we are keepin this 98 model in the family; both my wife and daughter love to drive it. They both feel safe in it and love the clear view of the road ahead.

THE BEST
By Toyota4Runner on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Toyota 4Runner and it has 45k offroad miles on it. Only time it drives on pavement is the freeway, to the offroading trails, and when I want to take it to the twisty winding roads. I really love the 5spd Manual tranny, over my 2002 4runner sport edition. The only thing I changed on it was the ripped off fender flare, side mirrors and bitten off mudflaps,(Stupid Dog). EXCELLENT! ;)

Great machine
By bobacco on 12/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

After 80000 miles I still love this truck. The high ground clearance is very useful. The engine runs like a Rolex. I have owned 23 cars. This one is the best all around vehical so far.

Best Damn Rig I Have Ever Owned
By PugPapa on 12/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Great comfort, better sterio than in my home, on or off road, it has never let me down!

Uber - Super
By amcclure on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my 4runner, I will never get another type of car, I am a fan forever. It has way more room than a jeep grand cherokee for passengers, more cargo room than a isuzu rodeo. It is one of the so called suv's that you can put into 4 wheel drive regularly and it be able to handle it. I cannot say enough good stuff. Buy one today!!!!!!!

98 4Runner
By betsypalafox on 09/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Extremely reliable, relatively comfortable, superb handling, and good performance for a V6. Only flat spot has been brakes (warped rotors repaired 2x under warranty). Really shines off- road (and this one regularly goes way off-road), & we haven't found the stiff suspension & AT tires to be as jarring for in-town use as we thought we might. Great versatile vehicle if you need something for 'mom' type use, as well as driving over rocks & through canyons in semi-arid west Texas.