Used 1998 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love It!!
By Biffers

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my 4Runner. Always wanted one and finally found the right one. For its mileage, there is not one squeak or rattle inside. I went from a large truck to this, when driving it feels like you're in a station wagon :) I have a couple friends who have 4Rs with 300000 miles and up, proper maintenance and they will go a long time. Only thing is the fuel mileage in town is around 15mpg . Not too bad for a heavy suv. The comfort and ease of driving it well makes up for that though. Highly recommended!

Favorite Features

Stereo CD unit. Ease of the 4x4 system (one button). Firm ride. LOTS of room, rear seats fold all the way down for added carrying room. Power everything.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything to be honest.

My Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD
By Bandit13

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I was pleasanly surprised with this 4Runner. Rides smooth, no interior or exterior rattles. Steering is great in town and on the freeway. I feel the 3.4 engine has more than enough power for my needs. The A/C is great and all passengers get the cold air. The fuel mileage could be better. I get 16 mpg in the summer months with the A/C always on. In cooler weather without the A/C on I get 19 mpg. This is all city driving. On the freeway 24 mpg is the norm. I do use an K&N air filter, and synthetic oil, and Toyota oil filters. And 87 octane fuel. It's great SUV. I plan to keep it many years.

Favorite Features

Handling, road feel, visibilty all around. Quiet interior. Cold A/C.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are located in a terrible position above the stereo and CD player, and console. That could have been designed better.

Excellent and Fun
By DC in Texas

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I wish I would never have tried anything else. This vehicle is dependable, stylish, built to last.

Favorite Features

Surprisingly agile for a 4x4 SUV, trust this truck.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Even Toyota Builds Lemons
By alw

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

The 4Runner is a very practical vehicle, handling well in all weather and road conditions and hauling dormroom-bound cargo with ease. Unfortunately, this vehicle came with a defective master cylinder, dropped a transmission at 80000 miles, and has had numerous switch, latch, lamp, park brake, etc. failures throughout its life. I will be hesitant to buy another Toyota because of the poor company and dealer response to the numerous issues.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive, manual transmission, V6 engine, power moon roof.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality control for vehicles leaving the factory. Better dealer and company response to customer issues. Being told that dropping brake fluid levels was "normal" in a new vehicle was ridiculous.

Good Car for the Money
By Joe

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

You'll pay a little bit more for a 4-Runner than you would for an Explorer but you are getting a better ride and have a more reliable vehicle. I have had the car for a couple years. Have not had to put any money into it. The rear window really pays off in the summer.

Favorite Features

Great exterior styling. A design that has really held onto its looks. 20 mpg isn't bad on the highway. 15-17 mpg city isn't bad either.

Suggested Improvements

The drink holder is in a terrible spot. Splashes all over radio. Taking off headrests in the back to put seats down.