1998 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Doesn't get any better
By mnienkemper on 06/07/05 11:02 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the best vehicle I've owned. The 4Runner is fun to drive, looks good, and is very comfortable. Beyond these distinguishing features, I have had me 4 Runner for 50000 miles now (total of 114000) and I haven't had one major thing go wrong. If this isn't enough, If I wanted to, I could sell my 4Runner for almost as much as I bought it for. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Good value overall
By Randy on 03/11/05 11:37 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

Great value, could have a softer ride. It rides like a truck. But overall a very good vehicle.

Great Used Vehicle Choice
By pdliggett on 12/27/04 14:19 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased this vehicle on eBay with 90K miles for $10850. In the 3 months that I've owned my 4Runner I've driven it almost 4K trouble-free miles. No rattles, no broken interior pieces, paint is awesome, and the vehicle runs flawlessly. Transmission shifts smoothly but is on a flexible hanger system which causes it to move around as evidenced by the gear levers moving;it also appears to build up tension on stops and then releases when you move forward...this is apparently normal for these cars. Ride is quiet and smooth; a very comfortable interior. Haven't used 4WD yet. 16" wheels are really nice. The crazy aftermarket alarm may have to go. Fuel economy is B+/A- (17 overall/21.5 on highway).

Great, great vehicle
By CDH on 11/10/04 12:47 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 4Runner w/ 54k miles on it and have out almost 50k more on it in 3 years. Excepting regular fluid changes and the like, I've only had to have it repaired once: I had to replace the AC compressor 2 1/2 years after I bought it. Highly reliable, enjoyable to drive, and very useful when I remodelled my home. Gas mileage leaves something to be desired. Highly recommened unless you have a long commute.

98 4Runner SR5 4WD
By lindeman23 on 09/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the car thinking that I would get around better gas millage than my V8 Grand Cherokee and be able to pull a trailer similarly, but not even close. I'm very dissappointed in the power. A downshift is the responce to even the smallest hill empty. I pull 2 Sea Doos (2200 lbs) and it struggles. Have replace both O2 sensors (aren't cheap) and the battery. But it is a toyota and I now that it will last forever, I just wish it has a smoother ride and more power.

Reformed Toyota Buyer
By Run Away on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

Mine needed an engine rebuild with less than 60,000 miles on it. The car was gently driven and well-maintained, using only synthetic oil. I was on a road trip, seven months pregnant, and I got stuck 750 miles from home with few options. The dealership charged me $5500 to replace the short block - $4000 in parts alone. There is more to say about the conduct of the dealer, but I don't have the space. When I called Toyota to complain, the company told me I was welcome to take my business elsewhere. Toyota would not stand by its product and did not care about how the dealership treated me. I have owned Toyotas all of my life but will never buy another.

Poor Water Pump Desgn
By Frank713 on 08/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

59.5 K miles and noted the coolant reservoir was dry just prior to long trip Denver to Grand Canyon. Water pump was leaking and very expensive to replace...similar to changin timing belt laybor. Was out of warranty by time...but I called Go Toyota and they agreed to pay for the pump, but not the laybor. I'm happy with the truck, but dissappointed with the failed water pump with so few miles...no off road. Mechanic told me pump was a bad design by Toyota and it is a common repair for this truck.

98 4 Runner Review
By brian9123 on 08/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Just change the oil and keep going. This vehicle is the standard of reliability.

Still a great runner
By RunnerUP on 07/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This is our third one. Last two were '92 and '95. Good looking truck but is somehow missing the quality and content of earlier models. Interior carpet wore through, leather seats started to tear. We treat our cars great, but the '92 was immaculate even after ten years. Did Toyota think we wouldn't notice the drop in quality materials?? Motor is strong. Oil filter is in a stupid location (again!). Paint isn't holding up as well either...lots of hairline scratches. Seats are not nearly as comfortable as the old '92 model. Much smoother though on the highway. Love the rack/pinion steering, longer wheel base & smoother transmission.

An awesome experience!
By Nash on 07/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Nothing but the best to say about this SUV. If the fuel economy was better (but how can it? it's an SUV from the 1990's), it would be ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. Great on the road, off-road, and in between. Comfortable, and reliable. The best purchase I've made in a vehicle in my life to date!