1998 Toyota 4Runner Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Twelve Years Out
By WRB

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

Loved this car from the day my parents got it new; I took over in 2001. For its time (gas near $1/gal, economic boom, popularity & size of SUVs exploding, but before "green" went mainstream), it got good MPGs (few less than 1998 Camry). I get close to 15 MPG with a lead foot in city driving. I've found acceleration from a stop or from merging excellent (V6). I even contemplated putting weight in the rear to improve takeoff handling. Interior fit still tight & looks better than Tahoes up to 6 yrs newer. Only standard, elective maintenance. Bottom line: I could be driving a higher-end new or nearly new car, but this is still my first choice; & dad wants first dibs on buying it back.

Favorite Features

I love the slimmer, nimbler exterior design of the 1996-99 4Runners. When it is fresh and clean it still draws the occasional compliment. Steering and handling of comparable quality to newer sporty sedans. Good ground clearance. All electronics still work. Very reliable truck.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholder placement and design are unfortunate. My design complaint is it rattles (if extended) if you only use one side; also rattles with slimmer bottles or half-empty drinks b/c it doesn't get snug grip. Ride rougher & interior not roomy for those used to newer cars, but that's apples/oranges.

My 1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5
By Bandit13

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I've had this SUV since new. The only thing needing replacement was the Antenna Mast. (TWICE} I just can't imagine with all the quality of this vehicle, the the Antenna Mast is a piece of junk. I know I'm not alone, because I belong to a few Toyota 4Runner SR5 sites and almost every person has had at least one or more Antenna Mast replacements. For a 6 cyl. engine it has great power. And comfortable ride. But for a 6 cyl. the MPG. is terrible. 15MPG City 23MPG Hwy. I've never towed anything with this SUV. I'm sure it would hold up to the task. Every 3 years I have the Transmission Fluid Drained and Filled thru the Coolant lines in and out of the radiator. I live in very hot climate.

Favorite Features

Sits high, offering great visibility. Brakes very well. Seats are comfortable. Nice head room. Love the lowering rear window. And sliding Sun Roof.

Suggested Improvements

Find a reasonable place to put the CUP HOLDERS. Not on top of the CD-Stereo and A/C Controls. I've never used the cup holder because of the DRIP factor on my electronics. And find a way to get better gas mileage. I use K&N Air Filters in all my cars, and my Harley comes stock with a K&N Air Filter.

Love this SUV
By razbodian555

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

The ride is very good. Toyota reliability is legendary. All the options. Don't care for the gold lettering of the Gold package Limited. One of the only other things that I liked about my 1988 Pathfinder over this 1998 Toyota is the shoulder room. The Pathfinder felt much bigger side to side and the amount of space between the backs of the seats made it possible to reach items in the back seat much easier. The durability of the Toyota interiors are equal to the Pathfinders but both of these are leaps and bounds over the rival American vehicle interiors.

Favorite Features

Leather interior, and mechanical reliability is 2nd to none.

Suggested Improvements

3"-4" wider inside would make all the difference in the world.

Move Over Energizer Bunny
By Mjwoodsphx

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

I bought this car in 2002 with 55K miles on it and paid 21K. The best investment I ever made! I bought this vehicle because I had a 1998 Tacoma and loved it. I dreaded that I gave it up at the end of the lease! The 4Runner is the best quality vehicle I have ever owned. Who owns a car for 7 years and hasn't grown tired of it?? This is one amazing vehicle and you can not beat the value. Sure it does not get great gas mileage, but it still gets better than most NEW SUVs. I average over 20 MPG and I live in Phoenix which has stops lights every mile not to mention terrible rush hour traffic! If you are considering one of these old guys, go for it! You won't regret it!

Favorite Features

Not a feature, but the Toyota craftsmanship is unsurpassed by any car maker. Sure minor things have broken in my 4runner, but nothing compared to other cars I have owned! The items that have broken were mostly cosmetic or foofoo. Like the rear cup holder!

Suggested Improvements

The front cup holder is terrible! It is located above the radio and heater controls. When in use blocks them as well as disrupts air flow from the center air vents. In later models Toyota corrected this! What does it say when the only complaint is the cup holder?

Love my 4Runner
By Sam

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Great vehicle have over 198000 on it and it still runs like a champ (I do keep up on maintenance). Not the perfect vehicle but very close. Would but another 4Runner in a second even though I don't care much for the new body style.

Favorite Features

I can depend on it.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are in a terrible place, cover all the heater and air controls when in use.

This car never stops going
By snoopy

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car 2 years ago with 84K on it. Currently has 131K on it. Still going strong, it has been on many road trips, without any issues! Just minor replacements, battery and a brake light, very impressive for a 10 year old car. Handles very well in snow and rain, love the ruggedness of this car. City mileage is usually around 18, lately have been getting combined mileage of 24 mpg. Love this car and am sad to have to give it up due to skyrocketing gas prices.

Favorite Features

Sun roof, rear window, spacious cargo, roof rack, towing package

Suggested Improvements

Disappointing cupholders considering all the other great features of this car. Seats could be more comfortable.

No vehicle has come close
By JCM

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second 4Runner. After driving an SR5 for 3 years I decided to lease the Limited. After 3 years of reliability I decide to purchase it. 185,000+ miles later I am still enjoying the reliability of the best vehicle I've ever owned. It has never had any major mechanical problems. I've had to replace the battery twice, brake pads once (always parked outdoors), and only now do I have to replace the muffler. The only electrical problem is the CD player skipping. It has been so reliable I am going to drive it until the wheels fall off.

Favorite Features

Reliability cannot be matched.

Tough Monkey
By tom

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our Toyota new in 1997. Except for a few relatively minor problems we have driven her through 10 Maine winters without a complaint. 152,000 miles and still going strong. She is starting to show her age a bit. Rear bumper is rusting, which I have noticed on a few others in this model year. I think the design of the rear bumper allows water to intrude and settle. We have had a problem with some locks and latches. And, the if I had to do it over I'd swap the electric retracting antenna for a fixed. We replaced the first one and the second is now starting to stick. But none of these problems would prevent me from owning another 4runner. They will take you anywhere!

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive. When engaged this vehicle is unstoppable. I call mine the "snow commander" because there isn't a snowstorm that can stop her.

Suggested Improvements

Rides like a truck and will throw you around a bit. Well, it's a truck after all!

My 98 4Runner
By Les

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I've been a Toyota owner since 1981. They build great cars/SUV and the 4runner is no exception. Quality and reliability are the best in the market.

Favorite Features

The layout of the dashboard is very good. The power hatch window is really neat and rare for an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

The power antenna stopped working and the dealer can never get my frontend right. My steering wheel is always off center and the dealer still can't get that right.

Best SUV on the Road, Hands Down !!!
By Theroses

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the SUV after running from a hurricane in NC with my Oldsmoble D88 and the olds died in the middle of 4 lanes of trafic 20miles long. I called a close friend and he said I could use his old 4Runner to get out of town and we did, safely at that. After this life altering event passed and we got home safely I went to a local dealership to look at Toyotas. I bought this 4Runner with 30K, now it has 175K and runs as great as day 1. This SUV has been on beach where other can't go and now I live in upstate NY so its tackled its share of major snow storms with ease. I love it! Now my son drives an 89 toyota pickup, my daughter a 96 Corolla and my wife a 02 Avalon, Im sold on Toyota!

Favorite Features

Toyota quality, form, fit and function! The 6 cylinder is as powerful as I could ever want. I towed my son's Toyota 89 pick-up 600 miles from NC to NY when I bought it and hardly noticed I was pulling anything. The over quality inside and out sets this SUV well out in front of the rest of the pact.

Suggested Improvements

The front seat cup holder location as you read in other reviews is not ideal. Gas mileage is not as good as I'd like but compared to comparable SUVs it's pretty good at around 20-23 mpg.