1998 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Twelve Years Out
By WRB on 01/01/10 02:33 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

Loved this car from the day my parents got it new; I took over in 2001. For its time (gas near $1/gal, economic boom, popularity & size of SUVs exploding, but before "green" went mainstream), it got good MPGs (few less than 1998 Camry). I get close to 15 MPG with a lead foot in city driving. I've found acceleration from a stop or from merging excellent (V6). I even contemplated putting weight in the rear to improve takeoff handling. Interior fit still tight & looks better than Tahoes up to 6 yrs newer. Only standard, elective maintenance. Bottom line: I could be driving a higher-end new or nearly new car, but this is still my first choice; & dad wants first dibs on buying it back.

My 1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5
By Bandit13 on 07/01/09 18:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I've had this SUV since new. The only thing needing replacement was the Antenna Mast. (TWICE} I just can't imagine with all the quality of this vehicle, the the Antenna Mast is a piece of junk. I know I'm not alone, because I belong to a few Toyota 4Runner SR5 sites and almost every person has had at least one or more Antenna Mast replacements. For a 6 cyl. engine it has great power. And comfortable ride. But for a 6 cyl. the MPG. is terrible. 15MPG City 23MPG Hwy. I've never towed anything with this SUV. I'm sure it would hold up to the task. Every 3 years I have the Transmission Fluid Drained and Filled thru the Coolant lines in and out of the radiator. I live in very hot climate.

Love this SUV
By razbodian555 on 02/03/09 22:41 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

The ride is very good. Toyota reliability is legendary. All the options. Don't care for the gold lettering of the Gold package Limited. One of the only other things that I liked about my 1988 Pathfinder over this 1998 Toyota is the shoulder room. The Pathfinder felt much bigger side to side and the amount of space between the backs of the seats made it possible to reach items in the back seat much easier. The durability of the Toyota interiors are equal to the Pathfinders but both of these are leaps and bounds over the rival American vehicle interiors.

Move Over Energizer Bunny
By Mjwoodsphx on 12/31/08 08:57 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

I bought this car in 2002 with 55K miles on it and paid 21K. The best investment I ever made! I bought this vehicle because I had a 1998 Tacoma and loved it. I dreaded that I gave it up at the end of the lease! The 4Runner is the best quality vehicle I have ever owned. Who owns a car for 7 years and hasn't grown tired of it?? This is one amazing vehicle and you can not beat the value. Sure it does not get great gas mileage, but it still gets better than most NEW SUVs. I average over 20 MPG and I live in Phoenix which has stops lights every mile not to mention terrible rush hour traffic! If you are considering one of these old guys, go for it! You won't regret it!

Love my 4Runner
By Sam on 08/07/08 14:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Great vehicle have over 198000 on it and it still runs like a champ (I do keep up on maintenance). Not the perfect vehicle but very close. Would but another 4Runner in a second even though I don't care much for the new body style.

This car never stops going
By snoopy on 06/11/08 09:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car 2 years ago with 84K on it. Currently has 131K on it. Still going strong, it has been on many road trips, without any issues! Just minor replacements, battery and a brake light, very impressive for a 10 year old car. Handles very well in snow and rain, love the ruggedness of this car. City mileage is usually around 18, lately have been getting combined mileage of 24 mpg. Love this car and am sad to have to give it up due to skyrocketing gas prices.

No vehicle has come close
By JCM on 03/13/08 18:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second 4Runner. After driving an SR5 for 3 years I decided to lease the Limited. After 3 years of reliability I decide to purchase it. 185,000+ miles later I am still enjoying the reliability of the best vehicle I've ever owned. It has never had any major mechanical problems. I've had to replace the battery twice, brake pads once (always parked outdoors), and only now do I have to replace the muffler. The only electrical problem is the CD player skipping. It has been so reliable I am going to drive it until the wheels fall off.

Tough Monkey
By tom on 03/01/08 19:11 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our Toyota new in 1997. Except for a few relatively minor problems we have driven her through 10 Maine winters without a complaint. 152,000 miles and still going strong. She is starting to show her age a bit. Rear bumper is rusting, which I have noticed on a few others in this model year. I think the design of the rear bumper allows water to intrude and settle. We have had a problem with some locks and latches. And, the if I had to do it over I'd swap the electric retracting antenna for a fixed. We replaced the first one and the second is now starting to stick. But none of these problems would prevent me from owning another 4runner. They will take you anywhere!

My 98 4Runner
By Les on 12/19/07 09:44 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I've been a Toyota owner since 1981. They build great cars/SUV and the 4runner is no exception. Quality and reliability are the best in the market.

Best SUV on the Road, Hands Down !!!
By Theroses on 11/28/07 13:29 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the SUV after running from a hurricane in NC with my Oldsmoble D88 and the olds died in the middle of 4 lanes of trafic 20miles long. I called a close friend and he said I could use his old 4Runner to get out of town and we did, safely at that. After this life altering event passed and we got home safely I went to a local dealership to look at Toyotas. I bought this 4Runner with 30K, now it has 175K and runs as great as day 1. This SUV has been on beach where other can't go and now I live in upstate NY so its tackled its share of major snow storms with ease. I love it! Now my son drives an 89 toyota pickup, my daughter a 96 Corolla and my wife a 02 Avalon, Im sold on Toyota!