Used 1998 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Over 400,000
By Roman

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I finally gave up my 1998 4Runner this week. I had 433,000 miles on the car and drove it for 10 years. This was one reliable vehicle. I traded it in for a 2006 4Runner limited with a V8. I don't expect it to last as long but I hope to get 10 good years out of the car.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Since they don't make it anymore, a more comfortable interior would have been nice.

Just Keeps on Runnin'
By Larry

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 4-Runner new and still have it today. I have not had any major problem with it. I had a water pump replaced at 238,000. I take it to the Toyota dealer for regular service only when needed. As of this writing, the vehicle has 259,312 miles. I will be leaving in it next month for Arizona from the Midwest. My only suggestion is, that if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Favorite Features

Dependability and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders over the front AC controls.

Great, Dependable SUV
By UsingCommonSense

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my 4Runner for almost 12 years. It has been an extremely reliable vehicle. The only problems I have had are the "junky" stereo and the retractable antennae. These are obviously very minor problems. The car just won't die. The V6 is a little on the weak side, but its not too bad. The interior is a little cramped. But, this SUV is a monster in bad weather. In 4WD this vehicle can't be stopped. I can't say enough about how great this vehicles is in the snow. Overall, this is a great vehicle to pick up even after 12 years. If you can find one with modest mileage and a clean title, you will not regret your choice.

Favorite Features

4WD performance, reliability, ride height (you sit high), overall look and appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are ridiculous, the junky stereo with retractable antennae.

Just can't get rid of it
By barvaz

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it new and have loved owning it. I keep looking to replace it but I just can't. New versions are all plastic. I like steel bumpers. It meets all of my driving needs perfectly. Has manual tranny, sunroof, towing pkg. Repairs through the years include: Antenna mechanism twice. Drivers door mechanism. Clutch. Trailer light converter box. Breaks as needed. Price of gas hurts but it's worth it. I'd buy the exact thing again new if they were available.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Carries all my stuff. Good handling in rough terrain. Fun in deep snow. Clean, powerful style.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are in the way of dashboard controls, add a jump seat in the cargo area for 2 small bodies.

231K miles and counting
By howie b

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this new in 98 and it has served me very well. I drove it 231K miles and now I have handed it down to my son and I got a new (well, an 07) one. One brake job at 185K, no repairs to speak of other than a starter motor. GREAT vehicle. Totally dependable and a monster in the snow. This has been a great vehicle and will continue to serve my family well.

Favorite Features

Outstanding reliability; fantastic in the snow, about 20 mpg and uses absolutely no oil despite the mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders. Not enough head room, make more without the sun roof. That's about it.