Used 1998 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

98 4Runner SR5 4WD
By lindeman23

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the car thinking that I would get around better gas millage than my V8 Grand Cherokee and be able to pull a trailer similarly, but not even close. I'm very dissappointed in the power. A downshift is the responce to even the smallest hill empty. I pull 2 Sea Doos (2200 lbs) and it struggles. Have replace both O2 sensors (aren't cheap) and the battery. But it is a toyota and I now that it will last forever, I just wish it has a smoother ride and more power.

Great looks, ground clearance, roll down back window, A/C, big tires, reliability, Turning radius, dynamics

MORE POWER 3.4Liter V6???, smoother ride, better gas millage, Better brakes

Reformed Toyota Buyer
By Run Away

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

Mine needed an engine rebuild with less than 60,000 miles on it. The car was gently driven and well-maintained, using only synthetic oil. I was on a road trip, seven months pregnant, and I got stuck 750 miles from home with few options. The dealership charged me $5500 to replace the short block - $4000 in parts alone. There is more to say about the conduct of the dealer, but I don't have the space. When I called Toyota to complain, the company told me I was welcome to take my business elsewhere. Toyota would not stand by its product and did not care about how the dealership treated me. I have owned Toyotas all of my life but will never buy another.

An engine that can take more than 60,000 miles of use might be nice.

Poor Water Pump Desgn
By Frank713

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

59.5 K miles and noted the coolant reservoir was dry just prior to long trip Denver to Grand Canyon. Water pump was leaking and very expensive to replace...similar to changin timing belt laybor. Was out of warranty by time...but I called Go Toyota and they agreed to pay for the pump, but not the laybor. I'm happy with the truck, but dissappointed with the failed water pump with so few miles...no off road. Mechanic told me pump was a bad design by Toyota and it is a common repair for this truck.

Good looking and sturdy.

Toyota should have done a recall on the water pumps.

98 4 Runner Review
By brian9123

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Just change the oil and keep going. This vehicle is the standard of reliability.

Shift on the fly 4-wheel drive is a big plus during the winter months.

Toyota has a tendency to stick with what works. As a result, the interior design sometimes falls short of expectations. For example, the in dash clock in the 98 4Runner is the same clock my brother's 86 pickup had.

Still a great runner
By RunnerUP

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This is our third one. Last two were '92 and '95. Good looking truck but is somehow missing the quality and content of earlier models. Interior carpet wore through, leather seats started to tear. We treat our cars great, but the '92 was immaculate even after ten years. Did Toyota think we wouldn't notice the drop in quality materials?? Motor is strong. Oil filter is in a stupid location (again!). Paint isn't holding up as well either...lots of hairline scratches. Seats are not nearly as comfortable as the old '92 model. Much smoother though on the highway. Love the rack/pinion steering, longer wheel base & smoother transmission.

Toyota reliability, and fit/finish. Love the stick shift, rack/pinion, smoother suspension, lower liftover for the hatch, clean beautiful design, wife loves the height (shorty) and the safety. Not one single mechanical problem - Go Toyota! Won't buy the next model-too damn ugly!

Same crappy sun visors (this is not 1983 anymore!!!). Gutless stereo (Alpine fixed that). Cheap leather interior (falling apart/vinyl sides). Truck dives too much when you step on the brakes (new bilsteins should fix that). Damn those cup holders!

• SUV