Used 1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

I named her Baby
By Marcy

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

I purchased this vehicle because I always wanted an SUV, but I wanted something reliable! I looked at the Honda CR-V, but being a tall woman 6'0", I wanted something a little roomier! I Loved the 4Runner as soon as I drove it! I know it was overkill to get one so big but oh well! I'm a nurse,so I travel sometimes and need safe/reliable transportation! And this is so it! What can I say, I love it!

Favorite Features

The fact that it's quite roomy, reliable, comfortable for long trips! And the gas mileage isn't too bad, considering it's an suv

Suggested Improvements

As other owners have stated, the cup holder is cheap/flimsy, other than that I have no other complaints! As another owner stated, take care of it, and it will do likewise!

Move Over Energizer Bunny
By Mjwoodsphx

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

I bought this car in 2002 with 55K miles on it and paid 21K. The best investment I ever made! I bought this vehicle because I had a 1998 Tacoma and loved it. I dreaded that I gave it up at the end of the lease! The 4Runner is the best quality vehicle I have ever owned. Who owns a car for 7 years and hasn't grown tired of it?? This is one amazing vehicle and you can not beat the value. Sure it does not get great gas mileage, but it still gets better than most NEW SUVs. I average over 20 MPG and I live in Phoenix which has stops lights every mile not to mention terrible rush hour traffic! If you are considering one of these old guys, go for it! You won't regret it!

Favorite Features

Not a feature, but the Toyota craftsmanship is unsurpassed by any car maker. Sure minor things have broken in my 4runner, but nothing compared to other cars I have owned! The items that have broken were mostly cosmetic or foofoo. Like the rear cup holder!

Suggested Improvements

The front cup holder is terrible! It is located above the radio and heater controls. When in use blocks them as well as disrupts air flow from the center air vents. In later models Toyota corrected this! What does it say when the only complaint is the cup holder?

I've underestimated it.
By DanS

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

This is the first wise vehicle I bought. I wanted: comfort, reliability, utility, style. It had 60k miles when I bought it and now it has over 155k. The only mechanical problem I've had was a bad oxygen sensor that I suspect my K&N filter caused (spraying oil on the sensor). Right now I'm searching for a "new" perfect vehicle for me. Basically, the same criteria as before, but mpg is a greater concern, because I want to make that 45mile drive to surf more often. And, after all my research I've come to the conclusion that the perfect vehicle I'm searching for is the one in my garage. It feels like it'll go another 100k miles easily. Used ones are a bargain! Go get one!

Favorite Features

Power everything. Still looks and drives well. RELIABILITY. V6 is flexible - it can tow, yet it delivers decent power, and fair mpg (about 20-24 hwy). Power rear window is very useful. I can't think of a better comparable vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it got 35 mpg, then I wouldn't have to torment myself searching for that "perfect vehicle". Pre '99 4runners have an annoying cupholder location,but I prefer the chrome bumper treatment to the later models plasticky ones. So, what are you going to do?

Great Car
By Grant

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

Bought this truck with 30,000 miles and have over 140,000 miles on it now. Had to replace rear axle seals at 50,000 miles, other than that has had ZERO problems (mechanical or otherwise). Just do regular maintenance and the truck runs and runs! 4WD works great in bad weather, and truck tows strong. Interior, switches, gauges, and controls have all held up great (leather seats & motors, window controls & motors, AC, heater, CD, all power equipment, etc.) Will definitely buy another 4Runner!

Favorite Features

4WD, Toyota reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG, but 21 MPG for any SUV/truck is pretty good.

Dependibility
By Mark Yonke

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

I have spent 32 years in the auto industry on the retail level, and Toyota is the best of the best.They hold their value, and they do not break. My 4-Runner has 90,000 miles on it,and I have replace one set of tires, abattery and the power antenna mast. It still has the original brakes with 80% front and 90% rear linings left. My next vehicle will be the Tundra 4dr Truck.

Favorite Features

All the power conveniences

Suggested Improvements

They have already been made with current models