Ultimate Function
By WildYoats on
1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD
Bought my 4runner with 155k on the odometer 4 years ago for 4k and now I have 231k on it and it still runs great. I get 21-26mpg out of the 3.4L, 4x4 setup. I've done a timing belt job, brakes, and tires, that's it! I do 10k mile oil changes (full synthetic everything) and it doesn't burn/leak any oil. I absolutely love the front cupholder location. It is out of the way and I can still work all the climate controls etc. Toyotas are very thoughtfully over-engineered which makes them indespensible to me. They are the epitome of a functional, rugged, useable, economical, comfortable, and safe tool that transports you in city or wilderness.
Favorite Features
Great running 3.4L, smooth shifting transmission, very nice roll-down rear window, roomy interior, great mpg for a suv, easy to use four wheel drive, plenty of room for my 2 jack russels and all necessary camping gear in the back, low emissions/environmentally friendly.
Suggested Improvements
Maybe a little stiffer rear springs, when I'm loaded down I sometimes hit the bump stops. The transmission downshifts too early when pulling hills in cruise control and it's kinda irritating. That's it, I still love the 4runners and I hope to have one for many more years.