1997 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Review: Best vehicle I've ever owned -

1997 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Review

Best vehicle I've ever owned - 42 years
By thedadlord on

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I paid $26,000 for mine new in 1997. I have over 198,000 miles now. The ride is a little unsettled, it's better with a full load. Handling and steering is 2nd to none. I relocated the oil filter to the inner fender well with a bypass kit. I installed a hood deflector. I also installed a makeshift stainless steel screen inside the grill to stop damage to the radiator from road debris and bugs. The only repair I've needed are the head gasket went out under the extended warranty. Also the front brake line cracked from fatigue after a mounting bolt rusted thru. Michelin LTX M+S are the tires of choice for this vehicle. I still have the original shocks, exhaust system, alternator, starter.

Durability, reliability, flexibility, towing capacity, snow traction

Oil filter nearly impossible and messy to reach; fuel mileage should be much better; hood deflector should be standard; parking brake handle blocks center tray; front cup holders block air vents; no glove box light;