Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Almost 160,000
By playboy3484

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the first car I have purchased and I love it!! It has a lot of miles on it but it still rides smooth and performs great. I did get a tune up and replaced the starter but that was it(which wasn't bad considering I paid $6900 for it). My insurance company said the value is at $12,500 so it really keeps its value. Just keep the oil changed and it will love u back. I'm driving it until the wheels fall off!!

The design inside and out, automatic rear window, DEPENDABILITY, decent power, ride height, plenty of space, off-road capability, like it better than the newer models.

I understand why the cup holders are designed that way but its still uncomfortable, could drink less gas(especially for a college student budget)

LOVE it !!
By Romer

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my SR5 4WD 4Runner new in '97. 8 years and 88K miles later, only the antenna has stopped working. I have done all of the scheduled maintenance on time and 8 years later, I am averaging 20 MPG. The ride is fair for a truck based SUV. The power is also fair but not enough when I was towing my boat. Would not trade it for any other SUV.

Reliability, Reliability, Reliability

Sound system could be better.

238,000 miles and still going strong!
By DeFoor

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 2nd 4 runner. I have only replaced the water pump and timing belt. The truck still looks great inside and out. If you want reliability Toyota trucks are the way to go. I expect to get at least another 150k. I don't drive like you mamma either, these are hard miles. The 4 wheel drive is there when you need it, it will climb some steep hills. If you are worried about good dealer service- don't, you will not need it!

Sun roof, leather seats, Stereo, 4 wheel drive

Don't Change a thing.

238,000 miles and still going strong!
By DeFoor

Sun roof, leather seats, Stereo, 4 wheel drive

Don't Change a thing.

By clow

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

After having my 4Runner for 3 years, I can say that it is a very reliable SUV. I purchased it with 101,000 miles on it in 2002. I am now at 161,000 miles. Other than changing the usual, such as oil, filters, etc. I have recently replaced the shocks, struts, and battery(the old one was the original). The truck starts at the turn of the key and eveything still works, including the air conditioner. I have nothing, but good things to say about Toyota.

My truck is equipped with the power moonroof, which I enjoy very much. It also has the premium sound system with the mirror mounted tweeters.

Nothing.