Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

1st SUV
By Tina

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the first SUV I have ever owned and I would have to say its a wonderful car, I previoulsy owned 2 Civics but I do really like this truck. Its not too big or too small for me being only 5' tall. Plenty of room for my 2 dogs and they do love sticking their head out the back window. Purchased it with 118k mi and its a little over 120k, have only owned it for 2 mo. The cupholders did keep my tea warm/hot for the 1/2hr drive to work. The original stereo (soon to be replaced) still has some kick to it. The front leather seats little tattered, think it was pretty beat up from the prev. owner. But awesome truck in all!!!!

Leather, body style, v6 (compared to driving civics this whole time) aaalll the room.

The interior looked dated compared to the body style

Great SUV
By ATL2059

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This will be my second 4runner. Previously owned a 94 and i must say this one has been a great vehicle. IT has plenty of space on the inside as well as decent mpg at around 20 in the city! The 4runner also has plenty of power for towing which i due often. The 4wd also works well although I’m still not too fond of the push button 4wd but have had no problems out of it. I would definitely recommend this to anyone shopping for and SUV.

HUGE sunroof, leather seats, rear window. Lots of power.

Cup holders neet to be placed someplace that you could actually put a cup in. Bring back the tail gate.

Almost 160,000
By playboy3484

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the first car I have purchased and I love it!! It has a lot of miles on it but it still rides smooth and performs great. I did get a tune up and replaced the starter but that was it(which wasn't bad considering I paid $6900 for it). My insurance company said the value is at $12,500 so it really keeps its value. Just keep the oil changed and it will love u back. I'm driving it until the wheels fall off!!

The design inside and out, automatic rear window, DEPENDABILITY, decent power, ride height, plenty of space, off-road capability, like it better than the newer models.

I understand why the cup holders are designed that way but its still uncomfortable, could drink less gas(especially for a college student budget)

LOVE it !!
By Romer

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my SR5 4WD 4Runner new in '97. 8 years and 88K miles later, only the antenna has stopped working. I have done all of the scheduled maintenance on time and 8 years later, I am averaging 20 MPG. The ride is fair for a truck based SUV. The power is also fair but not enough when I was towing my boat. Would not trade it for any other SUV.

Reliability, Reliability, Reliability

Sound system could be better.

238,000 miles and still going strong!
By DeFoor

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 2nd 4 runner. I have only replaced the water pump and timing belt. The truck still looks great inside and out. If you want reliability Toyota trucks are the way to go. I expect to get at least another 150k. I don't drive like you mamma either, these are hard miles. The 4 wheel drive is there when you need it, it will climb some steep hills. If you are worried about good dealer service- don't, you will not need it!

Sun roof, leather seats, Stereo, 4 wheel drive