Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

LOVE it !!
By Romer

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my SR5 4WD 4Runner new in '97. 8 years and 88K miles later, only the antenna has stopped working. I have done all of the scheduled maintenance on time and 8 years later, I am averaging 20 MPG. The ride is fair for a truck based SUV. The power is also fair but not enough when I was towing my boat. Would not trade it for any other SUV.

Favorite Features

Reliability, Reliability, Reliability

Suggested Improvements

Sound system could be better.

238,000 miles and still going strong!
By DeFoor

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 2nd 4 runner. I have only replaced the water pump and timing belt. The truck still looks great inside and out. If you want reliability Toyota trucks are the way to go. I expect to get at least another 150k. I don't drive like you mamma either, these are hard miles. The 4 wheel drive is there when you need it, it will climb some steep hills. If you are worried about good dealer service- don't, you will not need it!

Favorite Features

Sun roof, leather seats, Stereo, 4 wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Don't Change a thing.

238,000 miles and still going strong!
By DeFoor

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Favorite Features

Sun roof, leather seats, Stereo, 4 wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Don't Change a thing.

By clow

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

After having my 4Runner for 3 years, I can say that it is a very reliable SUV. I purchased it with 101,000 miles on it in 2002. I am now at 161,000 miles. Other than changing the usual, such as oil, filters, etc. I have recently replaced the shocks, struts, and battery(the old one was the original). The truck starts at the turn of the key and eveything still works, including the air conditioner. I have nothing, but good things to say about Toyota.

Favorite Features

My truck is equipped with the power moonroof, which I enjoy very much. It also has the premium sound system with the mirror mounted tweeters.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing.

Keeps On Rolling
By JeffN

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We just found and purchased our 4Runner for my 16 year-old son. I have kind of "borrowed" it and love the vehicle. It has 130,000 miles on it and have been bringing all the maintenance up to date. It was fine when we bought it, it's getting better with maintenance. I started out at 16 mpg and have worked it up to almost 19 mpg so far. It runs strong and handles well. It's still tight with no squeaks. I may have to find another vehicle for junior but we did make the right decision.... I was hoping for 2-3 years out of it but it may out live me....

Favorite Features

Strength of the engine, handling, and overall drivability.

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully, they have improved on the cupholders by now.