1997 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Superb Machine
By JRV on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is uncompromised quality at it's best. Yes, a bit costly given the fact it's a 4 x 4, however it drives and rides very well. We purchaced it new in the Caribbean and keep it when we moved back to the States. It's been everywhere, but never in the shop for repairs. Wow! Look, I traded a 97 525i BMW that did nothing but swallow green 100 dollar bills ever since was purchased new. German craft is crapppp!

Wouldn't Recommend
By Turner on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Don't trust everything you read in Conumer reports about this SUV. I purchase my 1997 4runner in August 2002. Vehicle had 57,000 miles and was a Toyota "Certified" Used Vehicle. Two months later I noticed a heavy shimmy when I applied the brakes between 40 and 50 MPH. Then on cold mornings the transmission wouldn't shift into drive until the engine warmed up. Took it to my dealer, $800...!! to replace front rotors and rear brake drum which had cracked (still under Certified warranty but brake parts not covered). Tech couldn't figure out why the transmission won't shift when cold...

I love this truck
By elbrokin on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this car brank new in 1997 and have 75K miles, still drives like brand new. Never had any problems, just routine maintanance. I hate to get a new car but I need a third seat! I wish the new 4runner had a third seat.

4-RUNNER'S EXPERIENCE
By TENNIS GUY on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Solid SUV, stable, good traction. The brakes are excelent although I heard a lot of bad comments regarding them. I only had 2 problems: the glove compartment's lock got broken and the rear double cup holder got broken too. The tapestry doesn't appear enough resistant to endure many years. The engine is awesome, as well as the transmision. In 5 years I spent: $150 on the lock, $200 on the cup holder and $ 90 in an original batery. That are the reasons that are making me considering buying another 4-big-runner

4runners are the best suv's ever
By T on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This was my first car and my parents liked it so much that they wouldnt let me drive because they wanted too. I drove mine really hard when I first got it and it kept working fine. Its the best looking suv and Ive put a lot of time and money into making it something very unique and special

4runners are the best suv's ever
By t on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

97 4 Runner
By ntaylor on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Solid, reliable, and dependable. Tows boat with ease. Fits in garage ( Ford Expedition may not). Leather seats easy to clean.

I love my 4 runner!!!
By Turtle on 10/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I got my '97 4Runner as a 16th birthday gift, and till this day (I'm 21 now) I still think it is the best SUV that's offered on the market. I love both the interior and exterior styling, the sound system, and the high ground clearance. Also, the O/D button gives superior acceleration while traveling at a high speed (e.g. 85mph). All in all, I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking into buying a well rounded SUV.

BEST 4X4
By ALEX on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Toyota 4Runner best suv on market.

The Best
By AJS on 09/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

This is the BEST vehicle! It has outstanding performance on all levels (handling, mechanical, comfort, room, body style, and FUN). Mine gets closer to 22 mpg/city, and 25mpg/highway - better than many sedans! I LOVE my 4Runner!