Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love it!
By Toyotagirl

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

I bought my 4Runner brand-new in 1996. Granted, I don't put many miles per year on it, but I have spent NOTHING on this SUV other than routine maintenance. It provides a sure, dependable, fun driving experience every time. The vehicle was well thought-out by Toyota -- other than the beverage holders. They're located in front of the AC vents and have to be one of the worst designs in automotive history. If this one ever wears out, I plan to buy another Toyota SUV. That's about the best recommendation I can think of.

Back seats fold down to make for a huge cargo area. Back window can be lowered with key from outside. Upright windshield provides great visibility in downpours.

I really hope the drink holders have been laughed out of town by now. Toyota can do better than this!

High miles, low costs
By captron2

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

Swallowed my misgivings and bought this SUV with 118,000 on the odometer. Car now has 190k miles. 4Runners, I learned the hard way, have one generic flaw: rear axle seals. I have had to replace them twice. If there's gear oil in the rear brake drums, plan on spending $1000 to repair. Otherwise, no problems whatsoever. V6 gives decent mileage, too: 20 in city, as much as 26 on highway if you can drive a steady 63 mph.

Great for road trips, comfortable leather seats, great sunroof.

Cupholders a joke. Solid rear axle gives rough ride on bumpy roads.

1997 4Runner Fan
By James

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 4Runner used with 44K on the odometer and have really enjoyed this ute with over 100K miles logged on it during my ownership. It is a great ride and I enjoy the five speed. It's my daily driver, but has seen complex off-road trails. Beyond regular oil changes, I replaced the clutch at 140K on the odometer as well as the oxygen sensors on the left bank of the V6 engine. The antenna is broken (second time) and I elected to get Sirius radio instead of paying a dealer $330 to repair this costly item. A spring-loaded clip on one cup holder is broken - dealer quote to repair is over $125. I've decided to live with the broken clip versus paying a dealer to fix this item.

Ride is comfortable, one of the only SUVs with a rear window that lowers, 4wd easy to engage & disengage, climbs hills offroad with ease, lots of cargo room, nice stereo. Controls easy to operate.

Overall, this is a great vehicle, but I'm peeved that it would cost me $330 to get AM/FM radio reception restored to my truck. Toyota needs to get a reliable retractable antenna on this vehicle - get rid of the wimpy plastic cable that breaks inside the antenna motor and jams the motor.

135,000 miles and still going strong!
By Adam

1997 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm the second owner of this awesome SUV, and it's been a pleasure to own. My wife and I purchased the vehicle with 98k miles, drove it across the US to California, and since then it's taken us on many a trip on the west coast. Great off road (excellent ground clearance). Sometimes wish for more power, but the gas mileage is great so I can't complain too much. Great vehicle!

Off road capability, comfort, gas mileage.

Newer models seem to have addressed any issues with the 4Runner.

Awesome Used SUV
By Steve Kania

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Outstanding value through and through! Runs and looks great! Extremely durable and reliable and gets much better gas mileage than I thought it would. Have over 150,000 miles on it and it looks like it'll go another 150,000!