Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota 4runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

135,000 miles and still going strong!
By Adam

1997 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm the second owner of this awesome SUV, and it's been a pleasure to own. My wife and I purchased the vehicle with 98k miles, drove it across the US to California, and since then it's taken us on many a trip on the west coast. Great off road (excellent ground clearance). Sometimes wish for more power, but the gas mileage is great so I can't complain too much. Great vehicle!

Favorite Features

Off road capability, comfort, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Newer models seem to have addressed any issues with the 4Runner.

Awesome Used SUV
By Steve Kania

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Outstanding value through and through! Runs and looks great! Extremely durable and reliable and gets much better gas mileage than I thought it would. Have over 150,000 miles on it and it looks like it'll go another 150,000!

luvmosyo
By mosyo

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the original owner. I traded my 1991 BMW 325i for the 4Runner and have never looked back. It starts every single time I turn the key. One day after I had the vehicle for 7 years, it hesitated a little when I started it. I replaced the original Panasonic battery and it went right back to 100%. I had to have the antenna replaced once about 3 years ago. Other than that, the vehicle has served me flawlessly through my days as a single active duty Naval officer, my early married life and now with 3 kids and 3 dogs. My Siberian Husky never misses an opportunity to ride in "Mo's Yo!" I plan to keep my 4Runner until it won't go anymore - I'm thinking another 10 years. Thank you Toyota.

Favorite Features

I like to use the 4 wheel drive in bad weather. I like sitting relatively high up off the road. I can hardly stand to drive a regular car because it seems so low. The automatic rear window lets my Husky flirt with the people behind us.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a little more leg room in the back seat so that my stepson isn't always stepping on the base of my seat belt, thereby choking me while I am trying to drive.

Great truck, not-so-great mpg, Good buy!
By Maki

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

My first SUV. Bought it with 69K miles, now has 73K. Love the styling in and out, though THE FRONT CUPHOLDERS ARE HORRIBLE!!! Everyone complains about them because they're in an awful location and they vibrate! I'm planning to retrofit the newer 4Runner cupholders as others have done. Other than that, it's a great truck! No problems whatsoever. Just change oil/filter every 3K and add gas, you can go anywhere. I take it snowboarding every weekend, drives great in the weather though I use chains in the snow...no 4WD. This car is a classic example of Toyota quality and no-nonsense styling. Toyota covered all of its bases, except the aforementioned cupholders and a little lack of grunt.

Favorite Features

Toyota quality, styling, power rear window, fold- down rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders need to be moved off the dash and on the center console near the E-brake! Needs liftgate. Maybe a little more power and better fuel economy?? But who am I kidding... you can't have your cake and eat it too.

The best mid-size SUV!!
By Paul

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 4-Runner in July of 2003 in Houston with 53,000 miles on the odometer...it's now February of 2006 and it has 72,000 miles. I drove it home the same weekend I purchased it to Las Vegas. As you know, it gets blistering hot here in the desert and I'm proud to say that the vehicle does great here in Vegas. I try to park it in the garage, but with my FJ40 project going on in there it spends half the time in the driveway. The paint has faded just a bit but I wax it and it still looks great. One of the first things I did was get the windows tinted as dark as possible. It gets over 180 degrees inside but the interior's holding up great..there's one small tear in drivers seat crease

Favorite Features

The reliability...it always starts up and gets you to the top! A couple weeks ago went up some foothills outside of Vegas. There was some loose rock and shale up there, I put it in 4X and I was pleasantly suprised by the performance of the truck.

Suggested Improvements

MORE POWER..Better gas milage :) Slightly larger fuel tank..I wish the clock didn't flicker..Better rear window wiper..Better carpet in back cargo area.