Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

A Great Buy
By 4RunnerEcstasy

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this 4Runner on eBay. I then flew to California to pick it up and drove it back to Chicago! At the time of purchase it had 242400(!) miles but the truck drove well and it had no problem crossing the continent at the average speed of 75 mph. The one-touch 4WD is very neat but haven't got chance to test its limit. Can't wait for the Chicago snow. The engine at below 70 mph is very quiet and strong. But the wind noise is very interfering. CD down, sun roof does not open, but antenna goes up and down. A/C cold. 3 weeks, so far as good! Wait for my follow-up reviews every year! I am going to test out how many miles can my 4Runner really go before it collapses.

Acceleration, it's perhaps not like a sports car but the heavy speed-gaining feeling is so good! 4WD. Great looks. Get 20 mpg highway. Spacious interior. I can put three huge bookshelves in the trunk. My truck has NO rust. It has some interior rattle, not big deal.

City mpg is 14-17 depending on how many stop signs you meet. The gas gauge literally moves down F-E with the turning of the wheels.

4 Runner is a BEAST!
By Mario's Runner

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Runner used with 132,000 miles. I changed the water pump and the timing belt since records weren't available. Other than oil changes, this has been a very exceptional vehicle, and speaks volumes for the quality of this Japanese machine. The fit and finish is still excellent, along with the interior. It's bold, muscular, ready for the outdoors appearance (enhanced by my brush guards), is much preferred over some of the grocery mom SUV styles I see today. In inclement weather it's awesome and I never have to give dependability a second thought! It's roomy enough for me and my packages for my online business, it turns heads also. An A++ buy.

Dependability, build quality, great stance, interior design, , rear passenger heater, good gas mileage for an SUV, great in inclement weather. Great looking SUV that still turns heads especially when cleaned up.

The cup holder is in a very awkward place. I just make sure I have my temp setting adjusted before I get my coffee.

Ultimate Function
By WildYoats

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 4runner with 155k on the odometer 4 years ago for 4k and now I have 231k on it and it still runs great. I get 21-26mpg out of the 3.4L, 4x4 setup. I've done a timing belt job, brakes, and tires, that's it! I do 10k mile oil changes (full synthetic everything) and it doesn't burn/leak any oil. I absolutely love the front cupholder location. It is out of the way and I can still work all the climate controls etc. Toyotas are very thoughtfully over-engineered which makes them indespensible to me. They are the epitome of a functional, rugged, useable, economical, comfortable, and safe tool that transports you in city or wilderness.

Great running 3.4L, smooth shifting transmission, very nice roll-down rear window, roomy interior, great mpg for a suv, easy to use four wheel drive, plenty of room for my 2 jack russels and all necessary camping gear in the back, low emissions/environmentally friendly.

Maybe a little stiffer rear springs, when I'm loaded down I sometimes hit the bump stops. The transmission downshifts too early when pulling hills in cruise control and it's kinda irritating. That's it, I still love the 4runners and I hope to have one for many more years.

Just incredible
By Magitu

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

As I approach 300k miles, there is a single, slight rattle coming from the interior of the driver's door. Other than that, this thing is still tight as a drum. I have had to change the power antenna a few times. The driver's side door broke and wouldn't open from the inside at one point, and I got that fixed. Other than that, I have had ZERO mantenance done on the machine other than the Toyota recommended routine maintenance. I can't imagine a higher quality vehicle - and after ten years. I pay $70-$90 for each routine maintenance event, except for major tune-ups and timing belt replacement. My old Ford Bronco II cost $600/yr in brake work alone. 4Runner is an awesome vehicle.

Cruise control; sun roof; build quality; analog instruments; cargo area tie-downs.

Needs more head room; needs more cubbies in the cargo area.

Love it!
By Toyotagirl

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I bought my 4Runner brand-new in 1996. Granted, I don't put many miles per year on it, but I have spent NOTHING on this SUV other than routine maintenance. It provides a sure, dependable, fun driving experience every time. The vehicle was well thought-out by Toyota -- other than the beverage holders. They're located in front of the AC vents and have to be one of the worst designs in automotive history. If this one ever wears out, I plan to buy another Toyota SUV. That's about the best recommendation I can think of.

Back seats fold down to make for a huge cargo area. Back window can be lowered with key from outside. Upright windshield provides great visibility in downpours.

I really hope the drink holders have been laughed out of town by now. Toyota can do better than this!

• SUV