1997 Toyota 4Runner 3.4L V6 4x4 Consumer Review - 1997 4Runner Fan

1997 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Review

SR5 4dr SUV (3.4L V6 4x4)

1997 4Runner Fan
By James on

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 4Runner used with 44K on the odometer and have really enjoyed this ute with over 100K miles logged on it during my ownership. It is a great ride and I enjoy the five speed. It's my daily driver, but has seen complex off-road trails. Beyond regular oil changes, I replaced the clutch at 140K on the odometer as well as the oxygen sensors on the left bank of the V6 engine. The antenna is broken (second time) and I elected to get Sirius radio instead of paying a dealer $330 to repair this costly item. A spring-loaded clip on one cup holder is broken - dealer quote to repair is over $125. I've decided to live with the broken clip versus paying a dealer to fix this item.

Favorite Features

Ride is comfortable, one of the only SUVs with a rear window that lowers, 4wd easy to engage & disengage, climbs hills offroad with ease, lots of cargo room, nice stereo. Controls easy to operate.

Suggested Improvements

Overall, this is a great vehicle, but I'm peeved that it would cost me $330 to get AM/FM radio reception restored to my truck. Toyota needs to get a reliable retractable antenna on this vehicle - get rid of the wimpy plastic cable that breaks inside the antenna motor and jams the motor.