Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Bulit proof SR 5
By JD

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I bought this car new early in 1997. Has 166,000 miles still has original rear brakes and shocks/ struts. Replaced right front wheel bearing at 160,000 miles. Interior and paint is in excellent shape except for minor hail damage thanks to spring Texas storms. Still drives like new, 20 mpg city, 23 to 26 mpg highway. The mechanic that works on my car has a customer with one of these with 470,000 miles on it still going strong. Mechanic told me to never sell this car, this model 4-runner is the best toyota made. Best car I have ever owned, never breaks and has never let me down.

Great car.
By nick28powell

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I just recently had a unfortunate traffic incident where an ignorant woman ran a light ad hit my back end. i have a small dent in the body work no larger than a football. however her car was cremated her hood is screwed lights smashed wheel arches bowed out. good safe strong reliable car and not to bad on gas either.

Ect button.

More bHp

Never Gave Me A Problem
By Carolee

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

Great truck, held up in a head on. If I could find my car on a lot or in a driveway somewhere, I would buy it!

Love the exterior.

Cup holders were horrible!

Get excited everytime I drive it!!
By Excited everytime!!

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I just bought this 4runner 2.7L/4 cylinder/manual/rear diff lock four months ago, since I bought this 4runner I never had problems, I just changed brake caliper/changed oil and adjusted the rear brakes, I brought it to my mechanic after buying it and he said when he test drove it, it runs like 6 cylinder, he likes it!! It has 242800k in its engine but man it drives great!! I am planning to keep this truck 'til it drops. Routine check up needs to be followed and this stud will rock!!

Cruise control, engine, handling, reliability, height, a/c, interior, spacious for Asian like me.

Cup holder needs to be moved, manual tranny on reverse creates humming sound, sort of locking every time turning sharp when 4WD is engaged.

By clow

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

After having my 4Runner for 3 years, I can say that it is a very reliable SUV. I purchased it with 101,000 miles on it in 2002. I am now at 161,000 miles. Other than changing the usual, such as oil, filters, etc. I have recently replaced the shocks, struts, and battery(the old one was the original). The truck starts at the turn of the key and eveything still works, including the air conditioner. I have nothing, but good things to say about Toyota.

My truck is equipped with the power moonroof, which I enjoy very much. It also has the premium sound system with the mirror mounted tweeters.

Nothing.