Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love it!
By Toyotagirl

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I bought my 4Runner brand-new in 1996. Granted, I don't put many miles per year on it, but I have spent NOTHING on this SUV other than routine maintenance. It provides a sure, dependable, fun driving experience every time. The vehicle was well thought-out by Toyota -- other than the beverage holders. They're located in front of the AC vents and have to be one of the worst designs in automotive history. If this one ever wears out, I plan to buy another Toyota SUV. That's about the best recommendation I can think of.

Back seats fold down to make for a huge cargo area. Back window can be lowered with key from outside. Upright windshield provides great visibility in downpours.

I really hope the drink holders have been laughed out of town by now. Toyota can do better than this!

High miles, low costs
By captron2

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Swallowed my misgivings and bought this SUV with 118,000 on the odometer. Car now has 190k miles. 4Runners, I learned the hard way, have one generic flaw: rear axle seals. I have had to replace them twice. If there's gear oil in the rear brake drums, plan on spending $1000 to repair. Otherwise, no problems whatsoever. V6 gives decent mileage, too: 20 in city, as much as 26 on highway if you can drive a steady 63 mph.

Great for road trips, comfortable leather seats, great sunroof.

Cupholders a joke. Solid rear axle gives rough ride on bumpy roads.

Great truck, not-so-great mpg, Good buy!
By Maki

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

My first SUV. Bought it with 69K miles, now has 73K. Love the styling in and out, though THE FRONT CUPHOLDERS ARE HORRIBLE!!! Everyone complains about them because they're in an awful location and they vibrate! I'm planning to retrofit the newer 4Runner cupholders as others have done. Other than that, it's a great truck! No problems whatsoever. Just change oil/filter every 3K and add gas, you can go anywhere. I take it snowboarding every weekend, drives great in the weather though I use chains in the snow...no 4WD. This car is a classic example of Toyota quality and no-nonsense styling. Toyota covered all of its bases, except the aforementioned cupholders and a little lack of grunt.

Toyota quality, styling, power rear window, fold- down rear seats.

Cupholders need to be moved off the dash and on the center console near the E-brake! Needs liftgate. Maybe a little more power and better fuel economy?? But who am I kidding... you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Dave's 4-Runner
By pookey

I love this car/SUV.

Durable/Reliable/Efficient

Put the drink holder in the center console.

Best Japanese SUV
By majictouch

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Great SUV! Never had a problem in six years!