Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Best SUV
By infinitewisdom on 08/19/14 19:02 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

bought my '97 SR5 as a demo with 20k on it. It has been the most reliable car ever. I think the late 90's was a time when Japan and Toyota in particular decided to overtake GM and Ford in market share and the chose product quality as their method of attack. Essentially this car is the antithesis of a GM or Ford. It never breaks. I have replaced the battery brakes and tires and a few worn out mechanisms like the ignition switch and bulbs but everything else remains in perfect working order and starts every single time I turn it over. I just hit 225k and am handing the keys to my 16 year old daughter who refuses to drive anything else because she grew up in this vehicle.

Best SUV ever!
By toyota3309 on 11/13/11 06:10 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

If you want something that can go anywhere, get a 4runner. Don't even worry about what the weather is like. Snow, rain, mud, doesn't affect the 4runner. I average 24 mpg with some city, but mostly highway. 220,000 miles and nothing has hardly been touched. Plenty of cargo space and even has a back electric roll down window. Do your self a favor and get a 4runner!

Great car.
By nick28powell on 07/14/11 11:08 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I just recently had a unfortunate traffic incident where an ignorant woman ran a light ad hit my back end. i have a small dent in the body work no larger than a football. however her car was cremated her hood is screwed lights smashed wheel arches bowed out. good safe strong reliable car and not to bad on gas either.

My Reliable Rig
By Susan on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

It is so reliable. I looked in consumer reports before my purchase as it had 44,000 miles on it and was spendy at that time.The only thing I have ever had to do is change the starter at 85K and purchase tires.I have never had any mechanical problems.

Awesome SUV
By Joe on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV new in Sept. 1997 and it now has 150,000 miles and it is still running strong. Wife wants me to buy a new truck and I would get another 4Runner, but I am not ready to give up this truck. They just don't build them like this anymore. Quality for all manufacturers is just not the same as it was in the 90's. 13 years old and is as dependable as the newer cars in our family. I may give this truck to my daughter in a couple of years when she starts to drive and needs a car.

Love it!
By Chatfield on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV

I purchase this vehicle 4 years ago with 104,000 miles on it. I have done nothing to it but change the oil, it is now at 154,000. Best car I have ever owned.

1997 4Runner
By MRDUCKS1 on 03/14/10 07:52 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Unparalleled quality and reliability No major repairs required in 11 years Best all weather vehicle available. Exceptional. Used in states ranging from AK, KS, CO, SC, SC, IL, VA, LA and everywhere in between. I would not hesitate to take it anywhere with 235,000 miles on it today.

Excellent truck
By JW on 03/02/10 16:26 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

My 4Runner has been a wonderfully solid, reliable, and capable vehicle. I regularly drive it on rugged 4WD roads during camping trips in the Sierras, Death Valley, and Arizona (e.g. Sunflower Mine, Coke Ovens) and it has never let me down. It has a surprisingly large cargo area and my girlfriend and I can stretch out and sleep in the back (5'9"). The visibility is great, it's easy for anyone to drive, and even after 212,000 miles the V6/auto combination gives me 22 mpg on the highway at 70 mph which I'm quite happy with for an SUV. I'll be keeping this one past 300K.

Good Bye to a Great Old Car
By GreenWay on 01/07/10 14:26 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV

It has been great to drive this car around! Bought it with 104K miles on the teller which today stands at 145K. This is farewell and a tribute to a great car which drove us without letting us down even once! Regular oil changes and a tire change were the only maintenance activities ever done to it! It is going to a new owner after having it replaced by a Honda Pilot.

Never Gave Me A Problem
By Carolee on 11/19/09 05:40 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

Great truck, held up in a head on. If I could find my car on a lot or in a driveway somewhere, I would buy it!