Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love this vehicle!
By Karen Chabert

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

This is a very reliable vehicle, taking you wherever you want to go! Styled with comfort and reliability and safety in mind, Toyota is where it's at! Whenever I get into this car, I have to sort of jump in because I'm so short, but once I'm behind the wheel, I feel taller and more able to handle the road than if I was in a car. I love it so much that I'm putting into my pre-nup!

Immortal
By Woods Browder

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This car is unstoppable! Whether it's the road, rain, snow, mud, this car can go through anything. This 4wd 4Runner runs brand new

Bulit proof SR 5
By JD

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I bought this car new early in 1997. Has 166,000 miles still has original rear brakes and shocks/ struts. Replaced right front wheel bearing at 160,000 miles. Interior and paint is in excellent shape except for minor hail damage thanks to spring Texas storms. Still drives like new, 20 mpg city, 23 to 26 mpg highway. The mechanic that works on my car has a customer with one of these with 470,000 miles on it still going strong. Mechanic told me to never sell this car, this model 4-runner is the best toyota made. Best car I have ever owned, never breaks and has never let me down.

Best SUV
By infinitewisdom

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

bought my '97 SR5 as a demo with 20k on it.
It has been the most reliable car ever.
I think the late 90's was a time when Japan and Toyota in particular decided to overtake GM and Ford in market share and the chose product quality as their method of attack.
Essentially this car is the antithesis of a GM or Ford.
It never breaks. I have replaced the battery brakes and tires and a few worn out mechanisms like the ignition switch and bulbs but everything else remains in perfect working order and starts every single time I turn it over.
I just hit 225k and am handing the keys to my 16 year old
daughter who refuses to drive anything else because she grew up in this vehicle.

Reliability. Room. Performance on and off road and economy.

Best SUV ever!
By toyota3309

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

If you want something that can go anywhere, get a 4runner. Don't even worry about what the weather is like. Snow, rain, mud, doesn't affect the 4runner. I average 24 mpg with some city, but mostly highway. 220,000 miles and nothing has hardly been touched. Plenty of cargo space and even has a back electric roll down window. Do your self a favor and get a 4runner!

Off-Road Capability, Reliability, Space