1997 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Great car.
By nick28powell on 07/14/11 11:08 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I just recently had a unfortunate traffic incident where an ignorant woman ran a light ad hit my back end. i have a small dent in the body work no larger than a football. however her car was cremated her hood is screwed lights smashed wheel arches bowed out. good safe strong reliable car and not to bad on gas either.

Never Gave Me A Problem
By Carolee on 11/19/09 05:40 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

Great truck, held up in a head on. If I could find my car on a lot or in a driveway somewhere, I would buy it!

Get excited everytime I drive it!!
By Excited everytime!! on 11/16/09 00:34 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I just bought this 4runner 2.7L/4 cylinder/manual/rear diff lock four months ago, since I bought this 4runner I never had problems, I just changed brake caliper/changed oil and adjusted the rear brakes, I brought it to my mechanic after buying it and he said when he test drove it, it runs like 6 cylinder, he likes it!! It has 242800k in its engine but man it drives great!! I am planning to keep this truck 'til it drops. Routine check up needs to be followed and this stud will rock!!

By clow on 06/09/05 00:50 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

After having my 4Runner for 3 years, I can say that it is a very reliable SUV. I purchased it with 101,000 miles on it in 2002. I am now at 161,000 miles. Other than changing the usual, such as oil, filters, etc. I have recently replaced the shocks, struts, and battery(the old one was the original). The truck starts at the turn of the key and eveything still works, including the air conditioner. I have nothing, but good things to say about Toyota.

140,ooo and still drives like new
By Rhettro on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

the title says it all, replaced an alternater belt, small water leak, and thats it, most importantly, the trany and engine are running the same as they did when we purchased this car. A/C is still going stronger than ever, surprising, since i live in Atlanta. I've been moving a lot lately, and it has no problems towing a big, uhaul trailer, HIGHLY recommend this vehicle, with a V6, i'm getting around 17mpg

I love my 4 runner!!!
By Turtle on 10/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I got my '97 4Runner as a 16th birthday gift, and till this day (I'm 21 now) I still think it is the best SUV that's offered on the market. I love both the interior and exterior styling, the sound system, and the high ground clearance. Also, the O/D button gives superior acceleration while traveling at a high speed (e.g. 85mph). All in all, I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking into buying a well rounded SUV.

The Best
By AJS on 09/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

This is the BEST vehicle! It has outstanding performance on all levels (handling, mechanical, comfort, room, body style, and FUN). Mine gets closer to 22 mpg/city, and 25mpg/highway - better than many sedans! I LOVE my 4Runner!

My 2nd 4-Runner since 1990
By Romer Maiel on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

As long as the 4-Runner sold in the states is made in Japan, I will buy it.

Toyota - Need I say more?
By Wild_Bill on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

It just doesn't get any better than this. If you're shopping for a used one you definitely want to look for a rear locker if plan on off-roading.