Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Great car.
By nick28powell

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I just recently had a unfortunate traffic incident where an ignorant woman ran a light ad hit my back end. i have a small dent in the body work no larger than a football. however her car was cremated her hood is screwed lights smashed wheel arches bowed out. good safe strong reliable car and not to bad on gas either.

Ect button.

More bHp

Never Gave Me A Problem
By Carolee

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

Great truck, held up in a head on. If I could find my car on a lot or in a driveway somewhere, I would buy it!

Love the exterior.

Cup holders were horrible!

Get excited everytime I drive it!!
By Excited everytime!!

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I just bought this 4runner 2.7L/4 cylinder/manual/rear diff lock four months ago, since I bought this 4runner I never had problems, I just changed brake caliper/changed oil and adjusted the rear brakes, I brought it to my mechanic after buying it and he said when he test drove it, it runs like 6 cylinder, he likes it!! It has 242800k in its engine but man it drives great!! I am planning to keep this truck 'til it drops. Routine check up needs to be followed and this stud will rock!!

Cruise control, engine, handling, reliability, height, a/c, interior, spacious for Asian like me.

Cup holder needs to be moved, manual tranny on reverse creates humming sound, sort of locking every time turning sharp when 4WD is engaged.

By clow

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

After having my 4Runner for 3 years, I can say that it is a very reliable SUV. I purchased it with 101,000 miles on it in 2002. I am now at 161,000 miles. Other than changing the usual, such as oil, filters, etc. I have recently replaced the shocks, struts, and battery(the old one was the original). The truck starts at the turn of the key and eveything still works, including the air conditioner. I have nothing, but good things to say about Toyota.

My truck is equipped with the power moonroof, which I enjoy very much. It also has the premium sound system with the mirror mounted tweeters.

Nothing.

140,ooo and still drives like new
By Rhettro

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

the title says it all, replaced an alternater belt, small water leak, and thats it, most importantly, the trany and engine are running the same as they did when we purchased this car. A/C is still going stronger than ever, surprising, since i live in Atlanta. I've been moving a lot lately, and it has no problems towing a big, uhaul trailer, HIGHLY recommend this vehicle, with a V6, i'm getting around 17mpg

RELIABILITY, smooth shifting of trany, A/C towing capacity

cup holders suck, especially one bumpy roads, they have fixed all of my dislikes in the next generations