1997 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Love it!
By Toyotagirl on 12/27/07 13:34 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

I bought my 4Runner brand-new in 1996. Granted, I don't put many miles per year on it, but I have spent NOTHING on this SUV other than routine maintenance. It provides a sure, dependable, fun driving experience every time. The vehicle was well thought-out by Toyota -- other than the beverage holders. They're located in front of the AC vents and have to be one of the worst designs in automotive history. If this one ever wears out, I plan to buy another Toyota SUV. That's about the best recommendation I can think of.

High miles, low costs
By captron2 on 10/26/07 17:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

Swallowed my misgivings and bought this SUV with 118,000 on the odometer. Car now has 190k miles. 4Runners, I learned the hard way, have one generic flaw: rear axle seals. I have had to replace them twice. If there's gear oil in the rear brake drums, plan on spending $1000 to repair. Otherwise, no problems whatsoever. V6 gives decent mileage, too: 20 in city, as much as 26 on highway if you can drive a steady 63 mph.

Great truck, not-so-great mpg, Good buy!
By Maki on 04/13/06 11:46 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

My first SUV. Bought it with 69K miles, now has 73K. Love the styling in and out, though THE FRONT CUPHOLDERS ARE HORRIBLE!!! Everyone complains about them because they're in an awful location and they vibrate! I'm planning to retrofit the newer 4Runner cupholders as others have done. Other than that, it's a great truck! No problems whatsoever. Just change oil/filter every 3K and add gas, you can go anywhere. I take it snowboarding every weekend, drives great in the weather though I use chains in the snow...no 4WD. This car is a classic example of Toyota quality and no-nonsense styling. Toyota covered all of its bases, except the aforementioned cupholders and a little lack of grunt.

Dave's 4-Runner
By pookey on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

I love this car/SUV.

Best Japanese SUV
By majictouch on 08/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

Great SUV! Never had a problem in six years!

Great truck
By Rossbo on 08/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

Just bought this truck a week ago and I love it. Was considering a 2002 Xterra, but the fact that the rear window goes down had me sold. Limited is great, love the factory chromes.

Superb SUV
By lovemytoyotas on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

Bought used with every possible option. Just love it. Beautiful to look at; fun to drive. Very comfortable; back never gets tired. Good mileage for SUV; over 22 mpg on long hauls from sea-level to over 8000' and at 80+ mph. with a load. Only problem so far is the sectional antenna stopped working. Extremely reliable. My only complaint is that my wife confiscated it on the way home from the dealership, and claims it's HER car!

4 runner
By Jenn Davies on 03/03/02 14:41 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

Runs well, no problems that I'm aware of...