Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Wouldn't Recommend
By Turner

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Don't trust everything you read in Conumer reports about this SUV. I purchase my 1997 4runner in August 2002. Vehicle had 57,000 miles and was a Toyota "Certified" Used Vehicle. Two months later I noticed a heavy shimmy when I applied the brakes between 40 and 50 MPH. Then on cold mornings the transmission wouldn't shift into drive until the engine warmed up. Took it to my dealer, $800...!! to replace front rotors and rear brake drum which had cracked (still under Certified warranty but brake parts not covered). Tech couldn't figure out why the transmission won't shift when cold...

Favorite Features

Smooth, quiet ride for SUV

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability! Seat should go lower to accomodate 6' plus drivers. Not much headroom for tall drivers

Worst 4X4 Ever!
By Toyota - NOT!

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This thing is awful. Your feet stick straight out in front of you, putting your legs to sleep in the front seat, your knees are in your nose in the rear seat. It's a gutless wonder, with no power. In the shop all the time for piddlin' little things like wrinkling rubber on the running boards, peeling paint, sticking sunroof, you know Toyota stuff. And the parts are outrageous! A new ignition tumbler cost me $120 bucks! It's like driving a two story house down the highway - tippy around corners. It's a wonder my wife hasn't rolled it. It's a pig in the woods - no diff locks=stuck lots. And be careful if you take it off road, it's fragile. I'm going with a Suburban next.

Favorite Features

It's got a couple of stripes. Seriously, my wife likes it, so I don't have to drive it. It is really fragile for a 4X4, though.

Suggested Improvements

Boy, where to start? Better fuel mileage. Reduced body roll. Better plastics inside. Better paint. More corrosion protection. More power. Better seating position. Stronger interior and exterior components.

4Runner owners beware of Transmission
By Disappointed

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased 4Runner used (w/ 75K miles) from a dealership with high expectations regarding the quality and realibity of a Toyota. At 146K the Transmission went out which is not much better than the Ford Taurus we owned. The cost to replace the Transmission was $4500, OUCH! We decided to rebuild instead which cost around $1800.

Favorite Features

Great looking suv from the outside. Wife likes being up higher than the other cars for visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Design a transmission that will live up to the reputation of a Toyota. Move the cup holders so they don't block most of the instrumentaion.

Great SUV
By monica garcia

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this with 111000 miles. It is now at 196,000 miles. I've only replaced timing belt, $900 brakes often (due to oversize tires and going up and down the mountain) otherwise just oil changes. One small problem lately is check engine light comes on when gas gauge shows around a quarter of a tank. Mechanic said it could be just the gas cap. I've been told the ride in the back seat is rough but I haven't replaced the shocks nor do I know if they had been done before I bought it. For the last year I have had the roof and hood area start to peel but I have never had it waxed either. I will probably end up painting these areas when they get worse.

Favorite Features

Reliability, gas mileage is reasonable, 4wd easy to engage. Nice looking SUV.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage

PA salt killed my frame
By brian.

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

1997 4Runner SR5 4WD. Bought it 7 yrs old with 103K miles. Replaced antisway bar link a year later and noticed a lot of new frame surface rust. 5 years since i bought it the frame rusted through. What a shame, it was a typical strong, solid Toyota. It would have run for 100K or more no problem.

Favorite Features

Solid all around SUV. Find a clean well maintained and run.

Suggested Improvements

Better rustproofing. More power.