Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Best SUV
By infinitewisdom

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

bought my '97 SR5 as a demo with 20k on it. It has been the most reliable car ever. I think the late 90's was a time when Japan and Toyota in particular decided to overtake GM and Ford in market share and the chose product quality as their method of attack. Essentially this car is the antithesis of a GM or Ford. It never breaks. I have replaced the battery brakes and tires and a few worn out mechanisms like the ignition switch and bulbs but everything else remains in perfect working order and starts every single time I turn it over. I just hit 225k and am handing the keys to my 16 year old daughter who refuses to drive anything else because she grew up in this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Room. Performance on and off road and economy.

Best SUV ever!
By toyota3309

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

If you want something that can go anywhere, get a 4runner. Don't even worry about what the weather is like. Snow, rain, mud, doesn't affect the 4runner. I average 24 mpg with some city, but mostly highway. 220,000 miles and nothing has hardly been touched. Plenty of cargo space and even has a back electric roll down window. Do your self a favor and get a 4runner!

Favorite Features

Off-Road Capability, Reliability, Space

Suggested Improvements

None

Great car.
By nick28powell

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I just recently had a unfortunate traffic incident where an ignorant woman ran a light ad hit my back end. i have a small dent in the body work no larger than a football. however her car was cremated her hood is screwed lights smashed wheel arches bowed out. good safe strong reliable car and not to bad on gas either.

Favorite Features

Ect button.

Suggested Improvements

More bHp

My Reliable Rig
By Susan

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

It is so reliable. I looked in consumer reports before my purchase as it had 44,000 miles on it and was spendy at that time.The only thing I have ever had to do is change the starter at 85K and purchase tires.I have never had any mechanical problems.

Favorite Features

It is a bit plain, yet a good looking rig. Plenty of room to help someone move, high enough that deep snow is not a problem.

Suggested Improvements

more seat position options. Better cup holder.

Awesome SUV
By Joe

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV new in Sept. 1997 and it now has 150,000 miles and it is still running strong. Wife wants me to buy a new truck and I would get another 4Runner, but I am not ready to give up this truck. They just don't build them like this anymore. Quality for all manufacturers is just not the same as it was in the 90's. 13 years old and is as dependable as the newer cars in our family. I may give this truck to my daughter in a couple of years when she starts to drive and needs a car.