247k miles and still kicking!
By jnp16 on
1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV
I got this car 7 years ago at 150k miles. I'm now nearing a quarter of a million mi (247k). I've had to replace several things, but nothing unexpected and this car has only left me "stranded" once (hole in radiator, so if you count pulling over to put water in as "stranded"). This thing takes a beating from me--I offroad often and it takes 300miles trips constantly as I go back and forth from school (for 6yrs). Couldn't ask for a more fun, better looking, more reliable car! I plan on running this thing into the ground, and at 247k that still seems far away! Things changed: o2 sensor, radiator, timing belt, rear axle seals, booster, ignition, 1 fuel injector. Spread out over 7yrs, NOT BAD
Favorite Features
For such an old SUV, with so many miles on it, I definitely can't complain about the mpg (24 highway). Everything is built to last, stock radio, AC, transmission, the motor itself, etc is still working. Considering most cars have major issues at 100k miles, and I got mine at 150k and have put nearly another 100k on it, I'm amazed at how well this thing still runs! I've put less money into this thing, and had less things replaced than people I know with cars that are 5+years newer than my 96 4runner. And it's still holding value!
Suggested Improvements
One thing that bugs me which is really not a huge issue: the cup holders. The drinks hold suspended, and right above the shifter. Condensation freely drips down off the drink, onto my shifter. Is this a real problem? No, but it's the only "improvement" I can think of!