Used 1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota 4runner - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

247k miles and still kicking!
By jnp16

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I got this car 7 years ago at 150k miles. I'm now nearing a quarter of a million mi (247k). I've had to replace several things, but nothing unexpected and this car has only left me "stranded" once (hole in radiator, so if you count pulling over to put water in as "stranded"). This thing takes a beating from me--I offroad often and it takes 300miles trips constantly as I go back and forth from school (for 6yrs). Couldn't ask for a more fun, better looking, more reliable car! I plan on running this thing into the ground, and at 247k that still seems far away! Things changed: o2 sensor, radiator, timing belt, rear axle seals, booster, ignition, 1 fuel injector. Spread out over 7yrs, NOT BAD

Favorite Features

For such an old SUV, with so many miles on it, I definitely can't complain about the mpg (24 highway). Everything is built to last, stock radio, AC, transmission, the motor itself, etc is still working. Considering most cars have major issues at 100k miles, and I got mine at 150k and have put nearly another 100k on it, I'm amazed at how well this thing still runs! I've put less money into this thing, and had less things replaced than people I know with cars that are 5+years newer than my 96 4runner. And it's still holding value!

Suggested Improvements

One thing that bugs me which is really not a huge issue: the cup holders. The drinks hold suspended, and right above the shifter. Condensation freely drips down off the drink, onto my shifter. Is this a real problem? No, but it's the only "improvement" I can think of!

4Runner best car ever
By My 4 Runner

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

This is my first foreign automobile. I have to admit that this is the first auto I've ever had that has been trouble-free. I just love it and wouldn't own any other auto. When I am ready to trade, I'll get another 4 Runner

Favorite Features

reliability

Suggested Improvements

better map lights

Excellent as expected
By VivaDnA

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

The only room for improvement would be its fuel mileage and limited fuel tank size. Otherwise this has been a fantastic SUV that has done it all from hauling family to towing boats and carrying mountain bikes, or all at the same time. I would trade my 4Runner in for a new one if it would be offered as a hybrid.

Favorite Features

Reliability and versatility

Suggested Improvements

Fuel consumption could be better, and range could be improved via larger fuel tank.

I Love My 4Runner!!!
By Ashantimom

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

My 4Runner has 193,000 miles. I've never had any problems with it at all. In fact, more people buy 4Runners because of the quality and durability of mine than from teh commercials they've seen. They can't believe I'm knocking on 200,000 miles and still going strong. I bought it in 2001 with 120,000 and haven't looked back. I can't believe how well these trucks hold their retail value either. My next vehicle will be another 4Runner.

Favorite Features

The huge area in teh back for all of my stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder placement.

Saved My Life
By Stephanie H.

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

This car is one of the best cars I have ever owned - it saved my life. I was in a major accident in my Toyota 4Runner. Hit a cement barracade head on and walked away. The front of the car was completely demolished, but the inside wasn't even damaged everything was fine - the seatbelt held like a champ, the air bags deployed. The police, the tow guy, the collision repair guy, and even my car appraiser were in awe that I walked away from it with just a bruise and burn from the seatbelt. I will never buy another vehicle other than a Toyota - Thanks Toyota for making a great car that saved my life!!!

Favorite Features

It's fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

How can you improve on a vehicle that was made so well and that saved my life!!!