Used 1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

247k miles and still kicking!
By jnp16

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I got this car 7 years ago at 150k miles. I'm now nearing a quarter of a million mi (247k). I've had to replace several things, but nothing unexpected and this car has only left me "stranded" once (hole in radiator, so if you count pulling over to put water in as "stranded"). This thing takes a beating from me--I offroad often and it takes 300miles trips constantly as I go back and forth from school (for 6yrs). Couldn't ask for a more fun, better looking, more reliable car! I plan on running this thing into the ground, and at 247k that still seems far away! Things changed: o2 sensor, radiator, timing belt, rear axle seals, booster, ignition, 1 fuel injector. Spread out over 7yrs, NOT BAD

For such an old SUV, with so many miles on it, I definitely can't complain about the mpg (24 highway). Everything is built to last, stock radio, AC, transmission, the motor itself, etc is still working. Considering most cars have major issues at 100k miles, and I got mine at 150k and have put nearly another 100k on it, I'm amazed at how well this thing still runs! I've put less money into this thing, and had less things replaced than people I know with cars that are 5+years newer than my 96 4runner. And it's still holding value!

One thing that bugs me which is really not a huge issue: the cup holders. The drinks hold suspended, and right above the shifter. Condensation freely drips down off the drink, onto my shifter. Is this a real problem? No, but it's the only "improvement" I can think of!

Great SUV
By dinger82

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Love my SR5 Limited 4Runner. It's a 5sp!

The power & relibility! My motor was bored 30over, Cutom dual exhuast, and an intake.

The cup holders are a joke. and the gas tank is too small. Other than that this is the best SUV for the money. Have almost 200,000 rough miles on it.

4 runner, 2wd, 4cyl
By wup

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV

I bought my 4 runner new in 1996. It now has over 230,000 miles. Other than change the fluids and filters, and replacing the brakes, it's only required one repair; a cracked exhaust manifold at 190,000 miles. The 4 cylinder lacks power, but it gets good gas mileage (25 mpg highway). It will cruise at 80 on the highway as long as it's flat. The paint started fading after about 10 years. It also had two rust spots under the roof rack that I had to repair, but I'm not complaining since it sits outside, a mile from the ocean in South Florida.

Reliability, comfort.

cup holders block A/C controls. 4 cyl should be a diesel, more grunt and better mpg.

Cockroach of Cars
By Deidre

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This car will just not die, now will it! I'm the original owner and must admit that I've not been the best at regular maintenance. Even so, it keeps crawling along with performance like it was brand new (@ 135K miles). Had it in the shop only 2x since I've owned it and those were probably issues due to my own neglect. I'm reluctant to trade up because I just don't want to be disappointed! If I do, I most certainly will have another Toyota product. Can't beat 'em!

Reliability, tightness and durability. Not a lot of widgets and buttons to impress, but who needs 'em when it really is just more things that might break!

Can you say 'cup holder stinks'? The antenna is most embarrassing. It roars about 20 times trying to lift and depress. Like I said earlier, I'm not the best with maintenance. So, I take the embarrassment with pride, knowing the engine will be going for another 135K miles! Little roaring never hurt!

Great Truck
By donwe3

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the vehicle used with 105000 miles, it now has 122000. Built like a tank, very reliable and sturdy. Not a spot of rust anywhere except on the rear bumper (see other reviews) nothing major though clean it every few months with chrome polish and its hardly noticeable. Put new Michelin CrossTerrain tires on it, which perform very well and are extremely quiet. Also installed a K&N air filter, which increased power noticeably. Otherwise, have done nothing to it besides change the oil (synthetic blend). Based on other reviews and the way it's run the last 18 months, I would be very surprised if it doesn't go to at least 250000 miles.

Reliability, better mileage than expected, very sturdy -- no squeaks, rattles etc.

As many others have noted, what in the world were they thinking when they designed the front cup-holder??!!