1996 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
247k miles and still kicking!
By jnp16 on 08/01/12 10:05 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I got this car 7 years ago at 150k miles. I'm now nearing a quarter of a million mi (247k). I've had to replace several things, but nothing unexpected and this car has only left me "stranded" once (hole in radiator, so if you count pulling over to put water in as "stranded"). This thing takes a beating from me--I offroad often and it takes 300miles trips constantly as I go back and forth from school (for 6yrs). Couldn't ask for a more fun, better looking, more reliable car! I plan on running this thing into the ground, and at 247k that still seems far away! Things changed: o2 sensor, radiator, timing belt, rear axle seals, booster, ignition, 1 fuel injector. Spread out over 7yrs, NOT BAD

4Runner best car ever
By My 4 Runner on 01/01/05 10:12 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

This is my first foreign automobile. I have to admit that this is the first auto I've ever had that has been trouble-free. I just love it and wouldn't own any other auto. When I am ready to trade, I'll get another 4 Runner

Excellent as expected
By VivaDnA on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

The only room for improvement would be its fuel mileage and limited fuel tank size. Otherwise this has been a fantastic SUV that has done it all from hauling family to towing boats and carrying mountain bikes, or all at the same time. I would trade my 4Runner in for a new one if it would be offered as a hybrid.

I Love My 4Runner!!!
By Ashantimom on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

My 4Runner has 193,000 miles. I've never had any problems with it at all. In fact, more people buy 4Runners because of the quality and durability of mine than from teh commercials they've seen. They can't believe I'm knocking on 200,000 miles and still going strong. I bought it in 2001 with 120,000 and haven't looked back. I can't believe how well these trucks hold their retail value either. My next vehicle will be another 4Runner.

Saved My Life
By Stephanie H. on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

This car is one of the best cars I have ever owned - it saved my life. I was in a major accident in my Toyota 4Runner. Hit a cement barracade head on and walked away. The front of the car was completely demolished, but the inside wasn't even damaged everything was fine - the seatbelt held like a champ, the air bags deployed. The police, the tow guy, the collision repair guy, and even my car appraiser were in awe that I walked away from it with just a bruise and burn from the seatbelt. I will never buy another vehicle other than a Toyota - Thanks Toyota for making a great car that saved my life!!!

Great Rough Riding Truck!
By Temple62 on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

This is the roughest riding vehicle I have ever owned. Like a low-rider ytou have to slow down for any dip in the rode quite unlike my Honda. Above average in all other respects and ahead of the pack with the sliding rear window design!