1996 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Great SUV
By dinger82 on 12/14/11 15:08 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Love my SR5 Limited 4Runner. It's a 5sp!

Great Truck
By donwe3 on 08/29/09 13:55 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the vehicle used with 105000 miles, it now has 122000. Built like a tank, very reliable and sturdy. Not a spot of rust anywhere except on the rear bumper (see other reviews) – nothing major though – clean it every few months with chrome polish and it’s hardly noticeable. Put new Michelin CrossTerrain tires on it, which perform very well and are extremely quiet. Also installed a K&N air filter, which increased power noticeably. Otherwise, have done nothing to it besides change the oil (synthetic blend). Based on other reviews and the way it's run the last 18 months, I would be very surprised if it doesn't go to at least 250000 miles.

It's still going!
By cbrown on 08/03/09 12:15 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my car when it was 2 yrs old w/ 35k miles. It now has over 260k in original miles and it's still chugging along. The most reliable car I've had! Got it fixed maybe a couple times mainly due to an accident it was involved in-other than that it doesn't give us any problems at all.

Unstoppable!!
By levi916 on 11/20/08 15:59 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My parents bought my 4runner when I was younger but I never thought that I would end up with it. This baby was on the showroom floor. I have had it now for 3 years and man oh man it's sweet, it goes anywhere! And with some slight mods its unstoppable! I have rolled it on its lid and I flipped it back over and within 2 hours it was running again! If you are doubting getting a 4runner I would think again this is one of the safest rigs out there! My baby off roads and races down the track. The best of both worlds!

Best vehicle in the world!
By P.J. on 06/09/08 18:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck in 1998 with 30,000 miles on it. It now has an unbelievable 217,000 miles! Not once have I had a single engine problem with it. The only problem I have had is with the power antenna which had to be replaced twice but works fine now. The power rear window and wiper recently stoped working but look at the age of the vehicle too. The only thing I don't like about this truck is the ride. Way too harsh over bad roads and still isn't that great on newly-paved roads. My 4Runner is an SR5 Limited 4WD. I have never seen another one of this trim level. I love my truck! I will buy Toyota/Lexus for the rest of my life!

4x4
By tmtoyota4x4 on 03/26/08 10:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this 4runner with 140650 miles on it and it is strong as new. It could need a little power and get up and go but other than that it's ok, plenty of room for me and my friends to pile up in and take it 4wheelin down the beach or muddin. I average about 14/19 (city/highway).

Excellent, Solid, Reliable 4Runner
By Dan on 06/18/07 11:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the 4Runner in 1999, when it was 3 years old with 53k on it. Now it has 191k miles and I am very impressed with this truck. It drives as well as the day I bought it. During the 8 years I've owned it, it had no problems whatsoever! This car did not see the dealership unless I took it there for regular maintenance. It's extremely solid and reliable, starts even in the very cold Chicago winters (I keep it outside) and it goes everywhere thanks to a very potent 4x4 system. The paint is glossy even now, after all these years. There is no rust. I cannot believe how strong this car is and I think it will last me another 100K miles.

Solid & reliable
By Excellent Truck on 06/02/07 15:42 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this vehicle used in 2000 with 100000 km. Aside from periodic oil changes, it hasn't cost me a penny, extremely reliable through the harshest conditions. Fuel mileage could be better, but still a small price to pay for the trouble free performance. Highly recomended, would buy another Toyota without thinking twice.

A MUST HAVE!!!!!
By greatdane on 02/22/05 17:38 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have enjoyed owning my 4runner immensely. It's a very dependable and long lasting rig. I have 168,598 miles on it w/ out a lick of problems, "knock on wood". Anyways I would recommend it to anyone.

Most Reliable Vehicle Ever
By Dave Sisler on 01/22/05 15:25 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV has to be one of the most reliable vehicles in history. 90000 miles and literally have had to do no more than fill with gas, change oil, change belts, and get new tires. Minor probs with pop-up antenna. Unstable in poor weather conditions unless it is in 4WD. Simple to change to 4WD. FANTASTIC CAR!!!!!!!!!!