Used 1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Great SUV
By dinger82

1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Love my SR5 Limited 4Runner. It's a 5sp!

Favorite Features

The power & relibility! My motor was bored 30over, Cutom dual exhuast, and an intake.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are a joke. and the gas tank is too small. Other than that this is the best SUV for the money. Have almost 200,000 rough miles on it.

Great Truck
By donwe3

1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the vehicle used with 105000 miles, it now has 122000. Built like a tank, very reliable and sturdy. Not a spot of rust anywhere except on the rear bumper (see other reviews) nothing major though clean it every few months with chrome polish and its hardly noticeable. Put new Michelin CrossTerrain tires on it, which perform very well and are extremely quiet. Also installed a K&N air filter, which increased power noticeably. Otherwise, have done nothing to it besides change the oil (synthetic blend). Based on other reviews and the way it's run the last 18 months, I would be very surprised if it doesn't go to at least 250000 miles.

Favorite Features

Reliability, better mileage than expected, very sturdy -- no squeaks, rattles etc.

Suggested Improvements

As many others have noted, what in the world were they thinking when they designed the front cup-holder??!!

It's still going!
By cbrown

1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my car when it was 2 yrs old w/ 35k miles. It now has over 260k in original miles and it's still chugging along. The most reliable car I've had! Got it fixed maybe a couple times mainly due to an accident it was involved in-other than that it doesn't give us any problems at all.

Favorite Features

Back sliding window, fold down seats, storage compartments.

Unstoppable!!
By levi916

1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My parents bought my 4runner when I was younger but I never thought that I would end up with it. This baby was on the showroom floor. I have had it now for 3 years and man oh man it's sweet, it goes anywhere! And with some slight mods its unstoppable! I have rolled it on its lid and I flipped it back over and within 2 hours it was running again! If you are doubting getting a 4runner I would think again this is one of the safest rigs out there! My baby off roads and races down the track. The best of both worlds!

Favorite Features

The whole thing!

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are not in the best place above the radio. But just have lids and you'll be fine

Best vehicle in the world!
By P.J.

1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck in 1998 with 30,000 miles on it. It now has an unbelievable 217,000 miles! Not once have I had a single engine problem with it. The only problem I have had is with the power antenna which had to be replaced twice but works fine now. The power rear window and wiper recently stoped working but look at the age of the vehicle too. The only thing I don't like about this truck is the ride. Way too harsh over bad roads and still isn't that great on newly-paved roads. My 4Runner is an SR5 Limited 4WD. I have never seen another one of this trim level. I love my truck! I will buy Toyota/Lexus for the rest of my life!

Favorite Features

Engine and easy 4WD system.

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension and higher quality leather.