Head gasket problems
By sam on
1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV
I bought my 4runner with about 56,000 miles on it.at 75,000 mile it blew a head gasket. at 150,000 miles it has blown a head gasket again. It was recalled for head gasket problems about 5 years ago.I am trying to get Toyota to fix it again.If there was a recall the first time then ,was it something they could fix or was it something they just patched up.I have had just one car in my life time that blew a head gasket once but this truck has don it 2 times. I am wondering if this problem is just something that is going to stay with this truck or what ?
Favorite Features
I like Toyota cars and trucks, that is why my kids drive toyotas. They have been very dependable up until now .
Suggested Improvements
Toyota needs to remember that their customers want the dependability of Toyota product to get back to where it was. For 15 years I have been a Toyota man and intend to stay that way unless things get really bad!
By gj56
on 01/06/11 17:16 PM (PST)

The word on the www about this problem is that the exhaust system has a crossover pipe in the engine compartment behind the engine that causes excessive heat on the rear cylinders causing the head gasket to blow prematurely. The suggested fix is to install headers and a Y-pipe down below the body. As a fan of Toyota for over a decade, this is not what I expected from them.