Used 1995 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Have had Problems
By David Lukas

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 4runner with only 52000 Miles. Unfortunately I have had nothing but problems. Around 70k miles I had the head gasket replaced. By 107k the engine had to be rebuilt. It now has 176k mi and the engine has serious problems. (no compression on the valves). I had two Toyotas before this one and have been disappointed with the reliability of the 95 4runners engine. I currently get around 9 miles to the gallon and the engine has NO power. I am told $1650 to fix it, time to get rid of it!

I really think this vehicle has a classic look to it. I like it better than the new ones. Some day this design will be as popular as the old Land Cruisers.

Poor engine design. Two different mechanics have told me that this engine will always have issues because of the poor design of the v6. Toyota should fess up to the problems this engine has had.

my4runner
By Robert Hohlt

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV

Bought mine second hand at CarMax. Love its all around usefulness plus the confidence that the wife and kids are safe driving it. Have had brakes, many batteries, starter, belts and hoses, wipers and tires replaced since bought.

Rear wheel drive vehicle. Fuel economy compared to same genre gas guzzlers. Best looking SUV style until Lexus RX300 came around, IMO.

Newest model 4Runners are just butt ugly. I suggest keeping the older models exteriors and just improving the innards.

A Great truck, too bad its gone
By Big Mar

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I loved my 4Runner. Dependable, fun to drive, offroad capabilities like a champ. Bought it with 150000 miles and it was still running like a champ when a Dodge minivan ran a red light and smashed me. Totaled it but I was very impressed with how it took the hit. Some minor problems like a power steering fluid leak and the seal between the transmission and the transfer case was leaking tranny dope but not enough to ever run out or fill it back up. Also burned oil at somewhat of a rapid rate, about a quart every 2-3 weeks but other than that it was cherry. Anybody who says its underpowered probably has never taken it seriously offroading, its just geared low. Hope I'm lucky to find another one

Aggressive stance. Good interior with plenty of room I thought. Good high up ride and good visibility. Very sturdy. Enough space for large tires with no need for a lift.

Gas mileage of course but lets be serious, nobody buys an suv for the gas mileage, leave that to the hybrids and lets go offroad. Cup holders too but if people didn't buy supersize drinks it would be alright.

TRunner at YotaTech.com
By TRunner

1995 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have been more then impressed with the capabilities of this vehicle. The only downsides is it is a bit underpowered, but it has never held me up on or off road and the sagging rear end which was fixed by some Downey HD springs. The interior is tuff. The exterior is tuff. The engine keeps on a trucking and has been very trouble free. I plan on keeping this vehicle a very long time.

Stock ability to drive through anything! With the added springs and Bilstein shocks it is the best handleing SUV for on/off road driving I have ever experienced. Smooth car like handleing on road. No blind spots. Last but definately not least, durrability of the overall vehicle.

After you drive the engine into the ground (which will take a looooong time) swap it out with the newer 3.4L supercharged block they offer in the newer Tacomas and 4Runners. It is an easy replacement. Also get the Bilsteain shocks and Downey HD coil springs to lift the rear end.

Great Truck
By John Fogle

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I love to drive this truck, it's comfortable, but lacks power. Being 6'4" it could use a little more leg room. Gas milage could be better. Also had a blown head gasket while going up a grade on the freeway, temp. gauge never moved off normal, so cracked the block. Toyota claims that the head gasket recall of earlier engines was fixed and I was stuck with the cost of a new engine.

Very reliable, especially since I'm discovering first owner didn't maintain it. Is great in snow and mud, handles lots of cargo without complaining.

Toyota needs to step up to the plate and admit a problem with these engines and reimurse those of us who had to pay ourselves for their problem. Could use a little more power.

• SUV