Used 1995 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota 4runner - Consumer Reviews

1995 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

4Runner & Tacoma are amazing!
By Stealth

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV

Really good on highway, off road simply the best. Was my first truck. I just bought a Explorer but I use always my Toyota. I think I will sell the Explorer. This truck is really beautiful, dependable, strong, gas economic even though it's a truck, when driving in highway and city also. I am still in love with this beautiful truck.

Favorite Features

High, Off Road, beautiful design, strong. Is a 1995 model, and after 13 years looks much better than other brands even 2000 or closer.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing, I think

Super Satisfied
By ogvaz

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has been one reliable SUV. I own a 2004 MDX, and it is not as reliable. I changed the front brakes for the first time at 100K miles, and the rear at 160K miles. It now has 180k miles and ready for another timing belt. No major issues with this truck except that I changed the radiator 3 years after I noticed some pinhole leaks in the top reservoir. I only did this because I was concerned about 4 wheeling in the hot desert. This work was also done at 160K miles when the factory hoses were changed out for the first time. I took it out 4 wheeling last December in the Anzo Borrego desert over boulders and steep inclines, and it still performs like a champ.

Favorite Features

Awesome reliability. Great off-road capability even without the locking rear differential. It can take a beating and still keep on going. The interior is pretty forgiving and still looks good after 12 years. If you do the PMs, this truck will be hard to kill.

Suggested Improvements

It does need a little more power, but in the granny gears, it's a tractor and will pull just about any other vehicle out of a rut. A locking differential would be great for extremely rugged terrain.

Love it!
By vorgps

1995 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this used with 76,000 and it has been a terrific vehicle to own. Now has 110,000 and only minor easily correctable problems. Had to replace radio antenna, inside rear window switch, had a really weird quirk with the brakes when we first bought it. The front driver's side (and possibly the rear driver's side) were grabbing and locking up causing the vehicle to pull rough to the left. Checked out by 2 toyota mechanics. Stumped them. Replaced both front pads and it was the same for about 1 week then it just stopped pulling and hasn't done it since. Latest is the rear window brackets, all rusted out. Have not had any problems with head gasket blowing as others have.

Favorite Features

Off road ability - I use it for hunting and star gazing in the high peaks of the Colorado Rockies near Leadville CO., never lets me down, reliability, absolutely love the LOOKS of this 4Runner! Awesome on the snow and ice. I left the vehicle as is except for offroad tires and I go places others can't.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage - but then again I don't use it as an every day driver. It is underpowered on the street but not in the mountains. Somewhat small interior, but only for someone above 6'3".

Most dependable vehicle I ever owned!!!
By jolene putnam

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this truck with 32k on it, it now has 90k and runs amazing. I have towed far more than i should have and it still runs great. Only routine maintenance has been needed. This truck has been a blast in the snow, I have not had any problems going anywhere, even in 2 wheel drive I was passing trucks struggling in 4 wheel drive. I am planning on buying a newer model. All in all a great vehicle. I have never doubted it.

Favorite Features

Dependability, roll down back window, height is just right.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage, cup holders are in a stupid position--it blocks the heater/ac controls, i don't care for fold down tailgate, newer models have better rear liftgate.

Have had Problems
By David Lukas

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 4runner with only 52000 Miles. Unfortunately I have had nothing but problems. Around 70k miles I had the head gasket replaced. By 107k the engine had to be rebuilt. It now has 176k mi and the engine has serious problems. (no compression on the valves). I had two Toyotas before this one and have been disappointed with the reliability of the 95 4runners engine. I currently get around 9 miles to the gallon and the engine has NO power. I am told $1650 to fix it, time to get rid of it!

Favorite Features

I really think this vehicle has a classic look to it. I like it better than the new ones. Some day this design will be as popular as the old Land Cruisers.

Suggested Improvements

Poor engine design. Two different mechanics have told me that this engine will always have issues because of the poor design of the v6. Toyota should fess up to the problems this engine has had.