1995 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Good for this type of SUV
By Shellina1 on 06/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV is tops in look and comfort. However, I agree that if you are looking for a car-like ride this is not the SUV for you. The ride is much like a truck. Larger,wider tires are a good option. The engine reliability and fuel economy are great in this class. The towing is not great, but the room to travel is great.

200,000 and Counting
By Nic Tesla on 05/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Sure, there were some problems, but overall, this baby never let me down. As some others indicated, I too had to replace the head gasket at 120,000. I bit the bullet and moved on, hoping for problem-free years to come and I got it.Mileage is consistently around 17-18 MPG, rare occasions up to 20. Got 120,00 out of my first set of tires. 4- Runner been very very good to me!

Never Again
By McGuire on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This is now my third Toyota that has rusted to the point of no return. I paid for and used an extened rust warranty. After only 3 years the truck needed paint and body work on the doors, fenders and tailgate. They are all in need of work again - $2000 worth. Not this time.

Gutless-guzzler
By Dan G. on 05/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

What we have here, is a peppy V6 on light truck chassis...squashed with a giant turtle-shell body. The result...a gasping, whimpering, gutless-guzzler, that can barely make it onto the freeway via the onramp. Floor it, and you know it just cost you a dollar. The vehicle does not feel stable on slick roads, and even with a new set of Michelins from costco, my 87 Honda feels much safer. Of course we bought it for it's comfort and looks. The interior creature comforts are very nice and practical. All electrical is flawless, and mechanically, exceptional. It's has an overall appealing quality, but I would stay away from this one.

Verdict is still out!
By tdavis07 on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall it has been a fairly good vehicle. I have had to spend about $300.00 in the last three months for minor mechanical repairs. It has 150,000k so I guess that is to be expected.

Great Vehicle
By ctl on 04/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this car used in '98 and have put on many miles. We love it! Never had any major problems, very reliable.

Too many problems
By slowry88 on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Several minor problems and one major problem (Head Gaskets). The wheels need balancing often, radiator leaked, minor electrical problems, shocks are going. These were all minor compared to the head gaskets that blew with only 80,000 miles on the car. The Toyota service center told me that this was "high milage." That's funny, their sales staff contend that the car should run to 200k. Total cost of repair will exceed $2000.

Tail Gate
By pshartrand on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV

It's not the fastest vehicle you'll ever drive but it may well be one of the best. I'm ready to turn 100,000 and it still drives like a new vehicle. Its done alot of hauling and still has the original shocks and suspension. I had a problem with the air conditioner at 80,000 but the extended warranty took care of it 100%. Other than oil changes at 5,000, belt replacements, brakes, and one tune-up, this vehicle has cost me nothing.

nice truck-bad mileage, some quirks
By benji_b1980 on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

We like the truck- solidly built, definite four wheel drive capabilities as well. Your typical Toyota quality is apparent inside and out. When we first purchased it, we noticed how poor the fuel economy was-it avg. around 12-16 mpg,so we thought it needed a tune up. Not only did we give it a complete tune up with the best of everything, we installed a high performance air intake and muffler to help with the mileage and power. Well, it didnt help with the mileage, but it runs like a top and sounds pretty darn cool now too!

Excellent car
By AnnieMcg on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this truck! Unfortunately, after eight years, it's costing WAY too much to maintain. It has never let me down, but they find something that has to be fixed every time I take it in for an oil change! I've spent about $4K in the last two years. I'd buy one again if they'd make another manual transmission, with better gas mileage and more power!