1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota 4runner - Consumer Reviews

1995 4Runner Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Sort Reviews by

Blown Head Gasket! Not a happy camper!
By rmshively

1995 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought our very first 1995 4Runner v6 manual. I had always wanted one but had NO IDEA about the head gasket problems. I had a feeling not to buy it but I didn't and now I wish I hadn't. I mean I love this car but I wish it had more horse power, and with 150 hp it's not nearly powerfull enough for a v6. It's extremely slow going up hills and it sucks down the gas at incredible rates. I really don't think this thing could pull anything and get up a hill properly. So last week it didn't pass smog and to our horror it was a blown head gasket. We bought it at 174,000 miles and it's at 209,900 right now. Going to get another better, more powerful vehicle. The engine is shot now. Crappy engine!!

Favorite Features

It does have absolutely awesome 4wd. Personally it's not a good daily driver, but a SUV you can use for snow or going to the high country. It's not suitable for lugging kids around in or long trips and not much anything else. Mostly it's an offroad, pleasure vehicle and not a daily family driver. I speak from experience because I have tried both.

Suggested Improvements

The whole engine is crap and needs to go. The head gasket flaw which is from the exhaust pipe being too close to the engine block and it wears the gasket down prematuraly..or something like that. The gasket is not long term repairable no matter how many times you have it re done. It has been known to go out very frequently(every 40k-80k miles) and it's very costly. Avoid this 3vze engine and get the 3.2L version or anything else but the v6 3.0L, it's crap.

slow!
By snast

1995 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

don't get me wrong, I love this car. but stomp on the gas, and don't expect much to happen except a lot more noise. that being said, this is simply the most reliable, capable vehicle i've ever driven. i've had mine for 5 years, it has 300,000 miles, and it runs just fine. off road, it's absolutely unstoppable. the storage and versatility is awesome

Favorite Features

4wd works flawlessly. transmission is bulletproof.

Suggested Improvements

they've already done it with the 3.4 motor.

Love the 'Runner
By echoman2

1995 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV

I just my '95 4Runner this year, and I love it. I got it with 100,000 miles on it and I've put about 10,000 in it. I get around 14 mpg in the city, and 20 on highway driving. Doesn't have amazing power on the highway, but goes off-road like a champ. I gotten through some pretty crazy stuff, and it's still all stock. Handles the snow like a boss. The rear springs were sagging a litle when I got it, but some new coils and she rides just like new! Has on not started once, and that was when the battery fried on me. But shes got a new battery now, and starts up every time. I love this truck and plan to keep it for a long time.

My trusty 4Runner
By janakins42

1995 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV

My Tacoma saved my life during a collision that totalled her. I was so depressed. I knew the only thing I could do was get another Toyota. When I got my 4Runner she was a real lemon. She had an overheating issue that I didn't discover until I took a small road trip. After I replaced the radiator and thermostat and maintainenced fluids and whatnot...she was the most dependable car I could ever ask for. The funny thing is...they made 2WD 4Runners! And I bought one! Didn't know until servicing her at Jiffy Lube. They were baffled too. She has 168k miles and still runs strong. The gas mileage sucks tho. I have to sell my baby because of it. I will be sad to see her go.

Favorite Features

Confortable drive. Handles well. Heater heats up quickly :) Lots of room. Tows wonderfully. Wonderful for in town driving.

Suggested Improvements

Make sure you call up the dealer and run your vin to see if your car was serviced for the recalled head gasket. If not, get it replaced! Other than that, after 2 years of ownership, I haven't had any other problems besides the radiator.

The most reliable
By dan721

1995 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV

I bought this vehicle in 1995 new from the dealership. The only problems I had was the water pump and front shocks, other than that no problems at all. It has 78,000 miles and runs like new. I highly recommend it to any one who is looking for a reliable car. On gas takes 16 miles/gallon and not very powerful up hill. Save money on maintenance. Love it and plan to keep it.

I love my gutless wonder!!
By blaisex22

1995 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV

I bought my 4Runner from a pawn shop 6 years ago at 135,000 miles. It gets crappy mileage and wont get out of its own way on the highway but for around town and off-road its awesome. Im now at 210,000 and have had only the head gasket issue. I did the head gasket myself and now Im off and running again.

Everything Works!!
By skidds327

1995 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this 4Runner last week for 1800. Surprised that everything works except the rear defroster. The Limited is a joy to drive. Gas mileage is at 17city. I have a hard time getting in the driver seat under the steering wheel. I believe in Toyota quality, this one has over 175k and runs great. I have an Avalon with 198k. Don't like the design of access to rear tailgate thru the window. I would buy a 4Runner again.

Favorite Features

Look!

Suggested Improvements

Driver seat and steering wheel

Slow & Steady
By MikeInNNJ

1995 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Very slow, poor fuel economy (14 mpg in mixed driving), not nimble, starts every time. Rust is a problem. Not a lot of legroom if your 6' or taller, good headroom though. I don't drive it everyday so I don't have big expectations for it other than running when I need it. Does well in the snow. The rating I gave it may be low, but I only need it to do a limited amount of things so the rating kinda reflects that as it might apply to a full time vehicle.

Favorite Features

reliability, ruggedness

Suggested Improvements

MORE POWER, smoother engine, fuel economy (something this under-powered should do much better)

Very disappointed
By Max

1995 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle with 126K miles on it. It now has 130K and is sitting in the shop with a $3,700 transmission bill. I had very high hopes when I bought it and was hoping to keep it for years to come. Unfortunately, the failure of the transmission took me by surprise. I am very surprised it wore down after only 130K miles. I really do love the truck, unfortunately someone before me did not take care of the transmission and now I'm stuck with the bill. I guess its off to Craigslist to see who wants a mechanic's special.

Favorite Features

Great off-road capability, even before shifting into 4x4, great interior quality and lack of wear for the age. Very sturdy, very roomy cargo area, high ride height, nice exhaust sound and good looks.

Suggested Improvements

Improve mechanical quality, especially the transmission. I've also heard many issues with the head gasket on the V6 (never personally had any problems). Way too much rust for a 15 year old rig. Extremely weak (uphill with the AC is an issue). Horrific gas mileage. Flimsy factory sound system.

Head gasket problems
By sam

1995 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV

I bought my 4runner with about 56,000 miles on it.at 75,000 mile it blew a head gasket. at 150,000 miles it has blown a head gasket again. It was recalled for head gasket problems about 5 years ago.I am trying to get Toyota to fix it again.If there was a recall the first time then ,was it something they could fix or was it something they just patched up.I have had just one car in my life time that blew a head gasket once but this truck has don it 2 times. I am wondering if this problem is just something that is going to stay with this truck or what ?

Favorite Features

I like Toyota cars and trucks, that is why my kids drive toyotas. They have been very dependable up until now .

Suggested Improvements

Toyota needs to remember that their customers want the dependability of Toyota product to get back to where it was. For 15 years I have been a Toyota man and intend to stay that way unless things get really bad!