1995 Toyota 4Runner 3.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1995 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

SR5 V6 4dr SUV (3.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Blown Head Gasket! Not a happy camper!
By rmshively on 11/14/14 16:19 PM (PST)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought our very first 1995 4Runner v6 manual. I had always wanted one but had NO IDEA about the head gasket problems. I had a feeling not to buy it but I didn't and now I wish I hadn't. I mean I love this car but I wish it had more horse power, and with 150 hp it's not nearly powerfull enough for a v6. It's extremely slow going up hills and it sucks down the gas at incredible rates. I really don't think this thing could pull anything and get up a hill properly. So last week it didn't pass smog and to our horror it was a blown head gasket. We bought it at 174,000 miles and it's at 209,900 right now. Going to get another better, more powerful vehicle. The engine is shot now. Crappy engine!!

slow!
By snast on 11/02/14 17:06 PM (PST)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

don't get me wrong, I love this car. but stomp on the gas, and don't expect much to happen except a lot more noise. that being said, this is simply the most reliable, capable vehicle i've ever driven. i've had mine for 5 years, it has 300,000 miles, and it runs just fine. off road, it's absolutely unstoppable. the storage and versatility is awesome

Slow & Steady
By MikeInNNJ on 11/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Very slow, poor fuel economy (14 mpg in mixed driving), not nimble, starts every time. Rust is a problem. Not a lot of legroom if your 6' or taller, good headroom though. I don't drive it everyday so I don't have big expectations for it other than running when I need it. Does well in the snow. The rating I gave it may be low, but I only need it to do a limited amount of things so the rating kinda reflects that as it might apply to a full time vehicle.

Very disappointed
By Max on 08/14/10 02:23 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle with 126K miles on it. It now has 130K and is sitting in the shop with a $3,700 transmission bill. I had very high hopes when I bought it and was hoping to keep it for years to come. Unfortunately, the failure of the transmission took me by surprise. I am very surprised it wore down after only 130K miles. I really do love the truck, unfortunately someone before me did not take care of the transmission and now I'm stuck with the bill. I guess its off to Craigslist to see who wants a mechanic's special.

Gas hog, slow, but it works
By NJMike on 04/03/10 15:48 PM (PDT)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

SR-5 v6 auto. Bought used w/ 103k. It's an occasional use vehicle, everything works (tailgate window a bit slow). Not powerful or acceptable w/ gas. I use plus fuel to help minimize pinging. I use it about once a week and during inclement weather (snow or flooding). More comfortable at around town speeds of 35-45 mph. It'll do 70 but seems like it would rather not. 4wd works well in the snow. It starts every time I've needed it. I'm 6'-2" and it's tight on leg room (I wish I could move the seat back even more), good headroom though. "Original" front brakes were changed @ 103k.

Blown Head
By Blown Head on 03/19/10 21:51 PM (PDT)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

It drove awesome for the first couple years and then my head gasket started going out and then finally did. It's sat in the same spot for two years now because just to replace a head gasket was at least $1500.00 I bought another vehicle for that price.

Great all around ride
By zach d on 09/14/09 11:12 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 4runner in the winter of 2007 looking for an all around mountain car. It has been everything I have wanted plus more. Maintenance on it has been nominal, apart from the usual oil changed and tire rotation. In the hills this car is unstoppable being able to take any incline i throw its way. The only down side is after 70 miles per hour you begin to feel a little unsafe because of the narrow chassis, and the wobbles it gets while turning at high speeds. Fuel economy for my 5 speed manual has been around 22 on highways.

Economy VS Power
By Doc on 01/21/09 08:21 AM (PST)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this 1995 for runner to replace a 1995 Jeep Cherokee. The MPG is ok to far. Once the needle leaves the full mark, it move very fast. The horse power is very disappointing. This has to be the most unhappy I have been with any of my cars. I find myself after a very short time considering selling off for more horse power.

Super Satisfied
By ogvaz on 05/07/07 21:26 PM (PDT)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has been one reliable SUV. I own a 2004 MDX, and it is not as reliable. I changed the front brakes for the first time at 100K miles, and the rear at 160K miles. It now has 180k miles and ready for another timing belt. No major issues with this truck except that I changed the radiator 3 years after I noticed some pinhole leaks in the top reservoir. I only did this because I was concerned about 4 wheeling in the hot desert. This work was also done at 160K miles when the factory hoses were changed out for the first time. I took it out 4 wheeling last December in the Anzo Borrego desert over boulders and steep inclines, and it still performs like a champ.

Have had Problems
By David Lukas on 07/09/05 06:45 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 4runner with only 52000 Miles. Unfortunately I have had nothing but problems. Around 70k miles I had the head gasket replaced. By 107k the engine had to be rebuilt. It now has 176k mi and the engine has serious problems. (no compression on the valves). I had two Toyotas before this one and have been disappointed with the reliability of the 95 4runners engine. I currently get around 9 miles to the gallon and the engine has NO power. I am told $1650 to fix it, time to get rid of it!