Used 1995 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Blown Head Gasket! Not a happy camper!
By rmshively

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought our very first 1995 4Runner v6 manual. I had always wanted one but had NO IDEA about the head gasket problems. I had a feeling not to buy it but I didn't and now I wish I hadn't. I mean I love this car but I wish it had more horse power, and with 150 hp it's not nearly powerfull enough for a v6. It's extremely slow going up hills and it sucks down the gas at incredible rates. I really don't think this thing could pull anything and get up a hill properly. So last week it didn't pass smog and to our horror it was a blown head gasket. We bought it at 174,000 miles and it's at 209,900 right now. Going to get another better, more powerful vehicle. The engine is shot now. Crappy engine!!

It does have absolutely awesome 4wd. Personally it's not a good daily driver, but a SUV you can use for snow or going to the high country. It's not suitable for lugging kids around in or long trips and not much anything else. Mostly it's an offroad, pleasure vehicle and not a daily family driver. I speak from experience because I have tried both.

The whole engine is crap and needs to go. The head gasket flaw which is from the exhaust pipe being too close to the engine block and it wears the gasket down prematuraly..or something like that. The gasket is not long term repairable no matter how many times you have it re done. It has been known to go out very frequently(every 40k-80k miles) and it's very costly. Avoid this 3vze engine and get the 3.2L version or anything else but the v6 3.0L, it's crap.

slow!
By snast

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

don't get me wrong, I love this car. but stomp on the gas, and don't expect much to happen except a lot more noise. that being said, this is simply the most reliable, capable vehicle i've ever driven. i've had mine for 5 years, it has 300,000 miles, and it runs just fine. off road, it's absolutely unstoppable. the storage and versatility is awesome

4wd works flawlessly. transmission is bulletproof.

they've already done it with the 3.4 motor.

Love the 'Runner
By echoman2

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV

I just my '95 4Runner this year, and I love it. I got it with 100,000 miles on it and I've put about 10,000 in it. I get around 14 mpg in the city, and 20 on highway driving. Doesn't have amazing power on the highway, but goes off-road like a champ. I gotten through some pretty crazy stuff, and it's still all stock. Handles the snow like a boss. The rear springs were sagging a litle when I got it, but some new coils and she rides just like new! Has on not started once, and that was when the battery fried on me. But shes got a new battery now, and starts up every time. I love this truck and plan to keep it for a long time.

My trusty 4Runner
By janakins42

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV

My Tacoma saved my life during a collision that totalled her. I was so depressed. I knew the only thing I could do was get another Toyota. When I got my 4Runner she was a real lemon. She had an overheating issue that I didn't discover until I took a small road trip. After I replaced the radiator and thermostat and maintainenced fluids and whatnot...she was the most dependable car I could ever ask for. The funny thing is...they made 2WD 4Runners! And I bought one! Didn't know until servicing her at Jiffy Lube. They were baffled too. She has 168k miles and still runs strong. The gas mileage sucks tho. I have to sell my baby because of it. I will be sad to see her go.

Confortable drive. Handles well. Heater heats up quickly :) Lots of room. Tows wonderfully. Wonderful for in town driving.

Make sure you call up the dealer and run your vin to see if your car was serviced for the recalled head gasket. If not, get it replaced! Other than that, after 2 years of ownership, I haven't had any other problems besides the radiator.

The most reliable
By dan721

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV

I bought this vehicle in 1995 new from the dealership. The only problems I had was the water pump and front shocks, other than that no problems at all. It has 78,000 miles and runs like new. I highly recommend it to any one who is looking for a reliable car. On gas takes 16 miles/gallon and not very powerful up hill. Save money on maintenance. Love it and plan to keep it.