Used 1994 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

What do you consider "high mileage"
By SierraSled

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

How could you fault a vehicle that has trudged through 260k miles of Tahoe winters, and Tahoe summers without a hiccup? Hauls every toy I own, lots of wet waggy tailed dogs, crusty skis, dirty mountain bikes, and just keeps on going and going and going. I'll miss this truck as I move on to a 2000 model - my dogs will miss it more. It's their personal expeditionary taxi and barf bag (why they loved to hurl in my truck I'll never understand - must be some kind of dog/truck thing). Onward we go, to a 2000 model with 144k on it, and another 8 years of worry free fun.

Utilitarian simplicity - it's a brick with 4 wheels, an engine, and seats. I just keep the back seats down all the time and toss whatever toys and dogs are available in there - then roll.

Scotty, I need more power. . .but then again, power and longevity are generally inversely proportional so. . .maybe not? Still wish I didn't get outrun by chipmunks and chickadees.

Best Truck Ever
By KG

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck brand new in 1994 before the term "SUV" was around. I have over 206,000 miles on it and it still runs great. I have NEVER done anything more than routine oil changes/ spark plug maintenance to the vehicle. This truck has also taken hundreds of miles of off-road pounding up steep canyons as narrow as the truck and over rocks as big as tires with no problems. I wish I could buy it new again, and I will never get rid of it. The only thing bad is that it gets 16 MPG city and 20 MPG on the highway. Also, up steep highway grades the engine will slow a bit, but then it does not have a V-8 as some BIG "SUV" might have.

Gas mileage

4Runner review
By Nate Frame

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I have beat on my 4Runner again and again. It was used a lot for farm work, pulling trees down, and hauling heavy loads with a trailer. The only time it left me stranded was when I ran it close to empty. It was my fault. If you find one with no rust, get it rust protected. Any body shop should be able to help you. The inside of the doors and tailgate. The 4Runner is not fast, but it's very dependable. Stick with the manual transmission models, the autos suck a lot of power you cannot afford to lose. Thirteen hard Michigan winters have taken their toll, but she is still alive and kickin'.

The fit and finish is much better than the newer ones. It feels so solid inside, no wind leaks and it doesn't rattle to this day.

The stock V6 is a good engine, not powerful at all. Swap in a late model 5VZ-FE 3.4L V6 and you will have a lot more power. And if you want more add the TRD supercharger. You get the modern powerful engine and the classic toyota quality that made them what they are today.

My First Toyota, Good Truck!!
By Josh Banks

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Well my famly has had good experience with Toyota, and I knew the reliability was up there so when my stepfather approached me and asked me if I wanted to purchase his truck, I said yes. I am graduating high school and I am big in the outdoors. So I knew this truck would fit my needs. The 3.0 V6 is underpowered for the gas mileage you get, it can still haul my fishing and camping gear no problem, and it even gets us through these harsh northern winters in Wisconsin. I also own the nicest suv in school!

The styling, definitely the A/C. The executive look the truck has. The amount of hauling room you have. The back sliding window. I really love this truck. BUY A TOYOTA, you will be satisfied!!

Toyota really should have used a bigger engine in the 4Runner, I think they should have used the 4.0 V8 from the Lexus LS 400, enough torque and get up and go. More fuel efficiency especially with gas at $3.44/ gallon.

Reliable
By Lindsay

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV

This is the most reliable vehicle I have ever had. Still at 178,000 miles it has yet to break down on me once. Toyotas are AMAZING, and definitely worth every penny. I got in a wreck and it completely totalled the other SUV. I walked away without even a dent or scratch on my 4runner.

Reliability, very safe,