Used 1994 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Made it to 300,000 miles!
By stnrphilip

1994 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I recently parted with a trusty "Yoda" toyota sr5 v6 3.0L that got me everywhere and back in style and comfort. Had the wonderfully over-built transfer case and the tank of a 5 speed manual transmission. I averaged about 22 mpg and was over joyed at the fact these things were made to do it all!. can't tell ya how many times i pulled ford, dodge, and chevy pickups out of 3 foot snow drifts with no problems. I would suggest the 1995 and older versions as they were built the heaviest. Would get another 1994 one without thinking :) Only reason i got rid of it was cause i decided it was time to trade and i picked up a Chevy 1500 in it's place.

abs, manual 4l/2l/4h/2h transfer case, decent interior and anti-theft system. Cruise is amazing, 4L is like a creeper in 1st gear and can pull anything short of a house.

Toyota had it right with their older sr5 4Runners, only thing i can suggest is that they add a heavier clutch and thicker disc's in the tranny, oh and get rid of the stupid abs please? Heater fan could be stronger in these orv's

Great SUV
By speed321

1994 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV

My grandma bought me a 1994 Toyota 4 runner about a year ago for my first car it had 202,000 miles on it now it has 211,000 miles on it and runs amazing but sucks very bad in the hills or up any hill unless your like off-roading and your going up a hill slowly in 4x4.. The brakes do suck i need to have my rooters turned. Had problems with rear window switch. The two back passenger window motors are almost done working i think they go pretty slow up after you put them down all the way.. Leaks oil but with those kind of miles its expected. Oh and how its bad in the hills is that when your going say, 65 mph and you start going up a little or a big incline you will loose speed very quickly and

is very hard for it to gain speed so you slow hard core and is embarrassing, when your on a freeway or some thing with cars behind you.. It might just be mine tho because it has a lot of miles on the engine. But the biggest problem i have ever had with mine was a fuel injector-$130 for the injector and $546 installed at the Toyota dealer. Other then that stuff i love this car its fun to drive and not that bad on gas. Hope this helps you. :] FF the seats the car is amazing.

Put new speakers in it.

Better than my Previous Vehicle
By William

1994 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Got rid of my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L V8 (318cid) and ran across this 1994 Toyota 4Runner with the 3.0L V6 5 speed SR5. Don't know what anyone else's issue with with lack of power, it has plenty of power (Its not a race car). Planning on using it for hunting and camping and towing my ATV/Trailer.

Lots of interior room, good fuel economy (17 mpg city/23.1 mpg highway) granted it's been sitting for a few months at a dealership so the fuel economy is going to improve with some fuel system cleaning.

Larger Fuel Tank, Larger Towing Capacity.

Getting old, but still runs like a top
By Susan

1994 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I have now owned my 1994 4runner for 16 years! I am the 2nd owner, and the mileage is currently at 384,000 km (quite a few miles!). It has been completely dependable while driving in summer through all types of weather, winter in Canada, and in the mountains in the U.S. It's fantastic for taking me and my 2 goldens on camping and ski trips It's starting to need a few repairs, but it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned by a long shot.

Reliability, great color (red), high clearance (no problems getting around in the winter), drop down tailgate.

Cup holder, upgraded music system (I have a cassette player), but mostly better fuel economy. A hybrid version would be terrific.

Worth the money
By j

1994 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

No complaints for reliability and worth the money.

15 years old and still going smooth.

Chrome bumper not good - is rusting away, but can be expected for a 15 year old truck. Cup holder not a good place. Short floor to seat room.