Used 1993 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
TOYOTA >>>A feeling of security
By Steve Jolly

1993 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

10 years of marriage ,two kids, 4 dogs, 2 cats and countless adventures. This vehicle has always been there for my family.

Favorite Features

sound system, A/C unit

Suggested Improvements

cup holders, rear sleeping accesory to accomadate big people

Keepin on...
By Mark

1993 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this model 11 years ago, with 50k miles. Put another 150k, some repairs, but still all Toyota quality, loved it. Selling soon for a used 2004 4wd, should be every bit as good as this one!

Favorite Features

4wd, bulletproof reliability.

Suggested Improvements

More power from a somewhat weak V6.

Keeps going and going and going
By Ben Holman

1993 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my '93 4Runner with 246,000 miles on it (all Colorado miles). That's right. I took it to 300,000 and got rear ended. It still runs like a top and never fails to start. Had a friend buy a '93 Blazer at the same time I bought my 4Runner . . . I towed him to the shop 3 times and it didn't feel like I was pulling anything. Only drawback is it's a little underpowered in the top end, don't expect to rocket up the hills, but mountains are no challenge.

Favorite Features

Reliability, haven't come across the terrain this thing can't handle, 3 feet of snow or heavy off roading. What a vehicle!

Suggested Improvements

More power.

Built-in Quality
By azipcode

1993 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV

As 2nd owner, the one word I'd use to describe my driving experience as DEPENDABLE. Other than an original recall on the head gasket--the car has performed very well. The engine is still strong and it's only the 3.0 V-6.

Favorite Features

I like the visibility provided by the higher ride than most SUV's in its class.

Suggested Improvements

Headroom...marginal at best.

Going strong
By seanmc1

1993 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 V6 4dr SUV

We have the SR5 Limited 4 door, V6 4 wheel drive model. Bought it at 158,000 miles for our daughter. I am amazed that everything works on this 20 year old vehicle--all power windows etc. Except the cruise control. Advantages--while not immune to maintenance issues as any older vehicle isn't, this thing runs remarkably well, 4 wheel drive works very well even on tougher off road situations, and the drive train for a truck like SUV is remarkably smooth especially for a vehicle so old. Love the rear roll down window and tailgate. Vehicle isn't roomy really but fairly comfortable for four and seats folded down yield decent cargo space. Narrow width of vehicle great for parking and narrows.

Favorite Features

Ruggedness. Durability. Cool factor of good body design--looks more like a truck than a prettied up SUV. Rear tailgate and rear roll down window. Durability of parts...not having to replace things that other cars would have long needed replacing like power window compnents, switches, etc. Road noise etc. Isn't fantastic. For Pete sakes. It's got bigger tires etc stock. Engine, transmission, 4 wheel drive system, still going strong at 180,000 miles. Actually fun to drive. Seating position and seats very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The 150 horse power V6 isn't terribly efficient nor awe inspiring. Plenty of low end torque though. Gas mileage-- pretty hoggy at 10 mpg in town, 15 on highway. Low safety crash stats on side impact (doors). I'm sure later models addressed this. But the looks of newer 4runners turned them into Mom Mobiles in my opinion. This earlier 4Runner is manlier.