1993 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Going strong
By seanmc1

1993 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV

We have the SR5 Limited 4 door, V6 4 wheel drive model. Bought it at 158,000 miles for our daughter. I am amazed that everything works on this 20 year old vehicle--all power windows etc. Except the cruise control. Advantages--while not immune to maintenance issues as any older vehicle isn't, this thing runs remarkably well, 4 wheel drive works very well even on tougher off road situations, and the drive train for a truck like SUV is remarkably smooth especially for a vehicle so old. Love the rear roll down window and tailgate. Vehicle isn't roomy really but fairly comfortable for four and seats folded down yield decent cargo space. Narrow width of vehicle great for parking and narrows.

Favorite Features

Ruggedness. Durability. Cool factor of good body design--looks more like a truck than a prettied up SUV. Rear tailgate and rear roll down window. Durability of parts...not having to replace things that other cars would have long needed replacing like power window compnents, switches, etc. Road noise etc. Isn't fantastic. For Pete sakes. It's got bigger tires etc stock. Engine, transmission, 4 wheel drive system, still going strong at 180,000 miles. Actually fun to drive. Seating position and seats very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The 150 horse power V6 isn't terribly efficient nor awe inspiring. Plenty of low end torque though. Gas mileage-- pretty hoggy at 10 mpg in town, 15 on highway. Low safety crash stats on side impact (doors). I'm sure later models addressed this. But the looks of newer 4runners turned them into Mom Mobiles in my opinion. This earlier 4Runner is manlier.

great truck
By jonrec

1993 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

have had my 4-runner 10+ yrs bought it with 80000mi now have 276000 on it runs great will take you anyplace when out 4-wheeling is is like a little tank goes anyplace you aim it

Favorite Features

comfort looks 4-wd

Suggested Improvements

power needs more but it is steady

Keeps going and going and going
By Ben Holman

1993 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my '93 4Runner with 246,000 miles on it (all Colorado miles). That's right. I took it to 300,000 and got rear ended. It still runs like a top and never fails to start. Had a friend buy a '93 Blazer at the same time I bought my 4Runner . . . I towed him to the shop 3 times and it didn't feel like I was pulling anything. Only drawback is it's a little underpowered in the top end, don't expect to rocket up the hills, but mountains are no challenge.

Favorite Features

Reliability, haven't come across the terrain this thing can't handle, 3 feet of snow or heavy off roading. What a vehicle!

Suggested Improvements

More power.

Best Vehicle Ever Owned
By Matt in Colorado

1993 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

This is our second 93 4Runner. Our current one has 250k+ miles on it. We've taken it to very high altitude of Colorado, Moab, Arizona, Southern Cal and the Bay area. It handled everything like it was flat road. The engine is a bit weak on certain passes but it always makes it and has never failed us. We are looking finally for a 2003 or 04 upgrade to the V8 but Toyota simply makes the stronger drive trains out there, year after year after year. I recommend them to anyone. 4Runners Forever!

Passing on tradition
By bishmj

1993 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this as a single mom to feel safe in our midwest winters with my 4 year old at the time. It served me well up until last April of 2006. That is when he turned 16. He is now the principal driver and it is still going strong with only 129,000 miles on it! I feel comforted knowing he is driving ol' reliable and know he is safe. I had a hard time giving it up but it was time to pass on the tradition of quality. Toyota has not let me down, this was only my second one and I kept it for 12 years! Gas is the only issue now... not so great, but a super reliable second truck for towing and hauling!

Favorite Features

Cargo room over the years it served me well, from gardening, to hauling antiques, to the dog! Put a protector down and did not damage the carpet still in great shape

Suggested Improvements

Considering the year, it is a bit pokey getting on the highway, and legroom in backseat is a little short.

I love my 4-runner
By Jody B

1993 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 4-runner from my aunt. I flew to Seattle and drove it to Utah. Runs great, minor problem with the radiator, after fixing got great gas mileage. Has 196K and still going strong!! No complaints.

Favorite Features

4- wheel drive of course.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger 6 cylinder engine. But still goes wherever it needs to.

Keepin on...
By Mark

1993 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this model 11 years ago, with 50k miles. Put another 150k, some repairs, but still all Toyota quality, loved it. Selling soon for a used 2004 4wd, should be every bit as good as this one!

Favorite Features

4wd, bulletproof reliability.

Suggested Improvements

More power from a somewhat weak V6.

"I should be in a toyota commercial"
By dexcom

1993 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV

What can i say, I bought my baby brand new back in 1993. Now have about 225k and this thing purrs like a kitten, starts on a dime every time, great brakes, still have original rear and original front werent replaced till 100k. Developed small hole in the radiator which required replacement and had a recall on the head gasket that toyota paid for; other than that this thing is an ox. I take very good care of it and it has repaid my love with reliability that simply can't be beat. It doesn't sputter, ping, knock or vibrate and amazes me every time I crank it up. Ohh and besides the drivetrain, the interior hasn't even sustained a single tear in fabric or buttons falling off etc, I hope for 3-4+yrs.

Favorite Features

Still has a look that appeals to me, great color that they stopped using the same year. (kinda forest green)

Suggested Improvements

Sluggish and poor gas mileage, I know acceleration is improved on newer ones so I ca't see improving much more on perfection...

The most reliable SUV
By John Randel

1993 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my 4Runner. It is fun to drive. I bought it new, and up to date all it has cost me are gas, tires, oil, filter and battery. I have 130000 miles on it and plan on driving it another 200K miles. The most reliable SUV.

Favorite Features

The ride, the look, the reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Gas efficiency. Then again it is a truck.

Great Truck
By Timmy G

1993 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

My first truck ever. I tested it in the mountains of south Colorado, Blew me away. Awesome ride!! Won't ever get stuck in this ride.

Favorite Features

Rugged truck ride, but smooth as well.

Suggested Improvements

MPG, but its a truck!