Used 1993 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Going strong
By seanmc1

1993 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV

We have the SR5 Limited 4 door, V6 4 wheel drive model. Bought it at 158,000 miles for our daughter. I am amazed that everything works on this 20 year old vehicle--all power windows etc. Except the cruise control. Advantages--while not immune to maintenance issues as any older vehicle isn't, this thing runs remarkably well, 4 wheel drive works very well even on tougher off road situations, and the drive train for a truck like SUV is remarkably smooth especially for a vehicle so old. Love the rear roll down window and tailgate. Vehicle isn't roomy really but fairly comfortable for four and seats folded down yield decent cargo space. Narrow width of vehicle great for parking and narrows.

Ruggedness. Durability. Cool factor of good body design--looks more like a truck than a prettied up SUV. Rear tailgate and rear roll down window. Durability of parts...not having to replace things that other cars would have long needed replacing like power window compnents, switches, etc. Road noise etc. Isn't fantastic. For Pete sakes. It's got bigger tires etc stock. Engine, transmission, 4 wheel drive system, still going strong at 180,000 miles. Actually fun to drive. Seating position and seats very comfortable.

The 150 horse power V6 isn't terribly efficient nor awe inspiring. Plenty of low end torque though. Gas mileage-- pretty hoggy at 10 mpg in town, 15 on highway. Low safety crash stats on side impact (doors). I'm sure later models addressed this. But the looks of newer 4runners turned them into Mom Mobiles in my opinion. This earlier 4Runner is manlier.

"I should be in a toyota commercial"
By dexcom

1993 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV

What can i say, I bought my baby brand new back in 1993. Now have about 225k and this thing purrs like a kitten, starts on a dime every time, great brakes, still have original rear and original front werent replaced till 100k. Developed small hole in the radiator which required replacement and had a recall on the head gasket that toyota paid for; other than that this thing is an ox. I take very good care of it and it has repaid my love with reliability that simply can't be beat. It doesn't sputter, ping, knock or vibrate and amazes me every time I crank it up. Ohh and besides the drivetrain, the interior hasn't even sustained a single tear in fabric or buttons falling off etc, I hope for 3-4+yrs.

Still has a look that appeals to me, great color that they stopped using the same year. (kinda forest green)

Sluggish and poor gas mileage, I know acceleration is improved on newer ones so I ca't see improving much more on perfection...

Great Vehicle!
By kuk

I've had it for 6 years and it now has
158,000 miles...still running strong,
and I drive it everywhere. No major
problems. I did have to replace the
radiator. (Maybe a Toyota thing since I
had a Celica previously and had to
replace that radiator too) Although,
that could also be because I lived in
Arizona!!! Toyotas are great cars,
built to last in my opinion.

Ice cold AC and it feels solid to drive, not clunky like some cars! I also like the high clearance, that even though it's not 4WD, it still goes just about anywhere.

I don't know if this qualifies as an improvement, but sometimes things just stop working. The back window wouldn't roll down then suddenly it started working again, and the lights for the AC controls have stopped working, unless I hit a big bump, then they come back temporarily!

Built-in Quality
By azipcode

As 2nd owner, the one word I'd use to
describe my driving experience as
DEPENDABLE. Other than an original
recall on the head gasket--the car has
performed very well. The engine is
still strong and it's only the 3.0 V-6.

I like the visibility provided by the higher ride than most SUV's in its class.

Headroom...marginal at best.

Great Car
By blang

We bought this car with 150,000 miles
on it and now it has 180,000. We have
replaced the starter. Prior to us
owning the vehicle no major repairs
were done. Only typical maintenance.
The car drives well and I have no
concerns about dependability. I am a
die hard Toyota fan. These cars are
built to last.

Comfort, small size, dependability.

Back of truck a pain to get into