Nothing but problems
By lyndawoo on
1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV
I can't be negative enough on this vehicle. The only redeeming fact is I think the previous owner neglected this vehicle beyond hope. We bought it in Nov, 2001 with 115,000 miles on it and the engine promptly seized a week later. I questioned the tranny when I discovered the engine oil was pure sludge. We replaced the engine, and a month later the tranny went. Meanwhile, the electric motor on the back hatch is dead and the a/c doesn't work. We have bought numerous used cars in our lifetime, but this one ranks the worst of all. Bummer.
By bdkern
on 07/20/11 07:07 AM (PDT)

That was clearly a car that wasn't maintained and (my advice) when looking at it, you should have been taken to a trusted mechanic for evaluation. That would have been caught and you'd have been told to "walk/run away" from that one. I bought one in 2004 with 138K and it had been run off-road, but was maintained. I have had to repair the AC, some steering components, and the catalytic converter, but at 200K it doesn't have a rattle in it and my son is driving it now.