1992 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
grrrreat
By chrtstine on 05/24/06 19:13 PM (PDT)

1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I love the 1992 toyota 4 runner. my favorite thing about it, is when camping, i can fold the back seat completely forward and sleep in the back with my kids. also if i don't want them to run away while we are in the woods, I can put the rear window down and close the tailgate. It is amazing if a 6" lift is added with 34" tires also, it makes those off road courses easier to gain control of.

Takes a lickin'.....
By Chariot of Fur on 06/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had this car for 8 years and it has 203,000 miles on it. It has moved me 4 times, gets 18 mpg for my 2 hour round trip commute to work,and hauls tons of stuff including 2 huge dogs. We love this truck - it runs better and gives us less trouble than my husbands 1999 Dodge Dakota. It has withstood many New England winters and not-so- routine maintenence and keeps on tickin'.... Til death do us part!

First and Last SUV
By alu600 on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV 5 years ago with 80,000 miles and now I have 180,000 miles on it. I never had any major problems with with it besides the normal wear and tear. I find that the engine burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles. I have spoken with other toyota 4-Runner owners with the V6 and found out that this is normal and it is the fault of the valve stem seals. Other than that the truck has never left me stranded anywhere. I'm real happy with the truck and plan on keeping it, given the price of SUVs today.

Great SUV
By tgm8 on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my 92 4runner. It gets good gas milage compared to other SUVs. It looks great and rides smooth. It's very reliable and I've never had a problem and I have 160000 mile on this bad boy. The only thing I would say is that it's a little slow off the line, but unless your racing it doesn't really matter. Great family car!

great vehicle
By mathew evan on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

this is one of the best vehicles ever. it has been my first vehicle. and i love it. it is in very good shape. alot of my frinds are jelous when they go riding with me. just about all toyotas are great!

10 Years in the Desert
By Chrisman Smith on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

My 4Runner has lived in the Phoenix Valley and Southeastern part of Arizona for 10 years. I have had all the maintenance on the vehicle performed at the dealership or authorized Toyota service center. I have had the recalled items attended to. The 4Runner performs off-road and has never left me stranded.

nice, but slow
By davey on 12/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I am a chevy mechanic and yes I own a yota. I don't like working on my own vehicles after 50 hours of work every week. This truck is very reliable, but lacks power, BIG TIME!!! This 3.0 is impossible too work on too. I think my 1987 toy pickup with 200K on it is faster! My 85 4runner handled better, it pulls poorly, and gets blown around on the highway like a rag doll. I will probably sell and get a used tahoe or suburban. At least if they break down I'm not lost under the hood and They have an ENGINE.

Look out for head gasket (blew 2x)
By Inlarkspur on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 4Runner two years ago from a dealership. I was told that the head gaskets were replaced in 1994. This year, the head gasket blew again. I found out that some of the recall replacements were bad too. I took my truck back to the dealership I bought it from and Toyota took care of the repair - but they informed me that I was on the tail end of the warranty. My advice to anyone purchasing a 1992 would be to investigate this further. I also had to make a fair amount of repairs to this vehicle (I put $1,000 into various repairs). It would be a really good idea to get this car thoroughly checked out by a mechanic before purchasing one.

Got a Gem
By dwy on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I used to be a Honda follower but now I am sold on Toyota. I bought this 4rnr with 121K miles and have put 40K on it in two years. I notice the attention to detail like putting numbers on the spark plug wires and the distributor cap has secure snap in features for the wires. The only gripes is the acceleration, the 3.0 liter is definitely out of its league in todays traffic. Burns a little oil from the front right cylinder and the rear diff needs rework. I am a nut about repairs so I have repaired the accel cable, brake rotors & calipers, fan clutch, o2 sensor, and had the power steering pump rebuilt.